Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator-User

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

I bought this used computer at a thrift store. It has Windows XP, with SP3, Norton 360 and many more programs.

I was able to set myself up as administrator, using the name, Chris. Then I deleted all the other accounts, and even changed the registered owners name, in the registry, to Dell client.

But every time I turn on the computer, one of the former administrator named BUBA, shows up in task manager, as a user. Even if I log him off and then click on my name, on the log-on screen, BUBA is still shown as user. The same is true when I click on the disconect button. He always shows up as the user.

But the real problem is, as long as the computer is on and connected to my DSL modem, the Internet and the ethernet lights keep on blinkig, as if something is constatly being down or uploaded. But it doesn't interfer with me going on The Internet. Maybe just slows it down some. for example, downloading IEspell, which is less than 2 MB took well over 1 minute and the download speed was shown as 27 KB/sec.

Can anyone figure this out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Since a system that belonged to someone else...there's no guarantee that anything works properly...why didn't you do a clean install so that you would at least be able to say for sure that the O/S works properly...the hardware works properly...and so on?

Louis

#3 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Louis, for the quick reply. The computer is a Dell Dimension B110.

Why didn't I do a clean install? Because I would have to buy an XP CD, which would cost me more than 5 times what I paid for the computer. Not to mention all the program Cd's I would have to buy too.

As a matter of fact, I do have a Windows 7 upgrade CD, which I never used yet. But unfortunately Microsoft threw a monkey wrench in to the Windows 7 upgrade, and one can only do a clean install on a Windows XP computer. Again, I would loose all my programs.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

Well...as I see it...you bought an "at risk" PC that may be infected, may have hardware problems, may have O/S problems...and you don't have any way to reinstall XP if the need arises.

You seem to think that's balanced out somewhat by having the system as it is, with whatever it came with.

I suppose that I would start with Event Viewer in my search for clues.

I don't know anything about how Dell...or any other OEM...configures the user account. I typically/always...delete everything on such systems and do clean installs.

The best thing I can suggest would be run Dell Diagnostics on the entire system and I would uninstall/reinstall the NIC.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/rem...-in-windows-xp/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#5 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

Thanks louis. I'll follow your suggestions. Maybe one of them will help. If not,all is not lost, as the machine still works anyway. It's just not perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users