Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Black Screen of Death after Update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adventureluck

adventureluck

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Hello all,

I am fixing a computer which has a black screen of death. Just the cursor and black screen. No control alt delete, no sticky keys, and I checked every registry key in the windows nt folder pretty much. I reinstalled and reupdated after backing up the data. The computer worked fine with the basic install. I updated it - I just let it run all the updates and went to bed. I get up the next morning and black screen of death is back. So, the original installation is still on there (I have two installations of vista now but preferable to get the old one working as that had the programs on it). Would it be possible to uninstall updates externally? I can hook the hard drive up to another computer via usb. It doesn't have any backups of the registry to roll back to, but if I could uninstall all the updates I could create one and slowly work my way forward. I just don't know how to uninstall vista updates from outside of the OS. Any of you know how to go about doing that?

Edited by adventureluck, 18 June 2010 - 07:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

It sounds to me like the shell might not be loading. Check the registry entry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

and make sure that the Shell entry is set to explorer.exe
I don't really know if this is your problem exactly, but it's worth a try.

Also, can you get into safe mode? If not, updates are probably the least of your problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users