Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

helpassist and myfreeze redirects

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shrack

shrack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:35 AM

Hello

Im helping a family member get rid of these persistant viruses/malware. When i first got the machine, the symptoms were strange behavior and finally it would not boot into xp (sp3). After fixing the hd boot order i took out avg, and installed kaspersky av trial, and superantispyware. he already had malwarebytes anti-malware.

After running full scans and clearing out some it found,i noticed the myfreeze toolbars, and the helpassistant folders. after uninstalling myfreeze,i repaired mbr using the xp disc repair console and removed the helpassist user,and folder and ran full scans again.

Everything seemed ok and i returned the machine. After a few days the url's were redirecting again and helpassistant folder came back soon after. Doing alot of googling this site seemed to be the only place that has had much info on these infections and success on removing them. After much more frustation from unsuccesful attempts on removal i decided to request help here.

Even if i end up having to do format/wipes, i like to knowing what the infection is,where its hiding, and hopefully how it got there so it does not come back.

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrack

shrack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:11 AM

time was an issue, so i was forced to format and reinstall. didnt do a full wipe so crossing fingers.

consider this closed except for one question.

what kind of time frame does it usually take for someone to pick up someones problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users