Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message On Explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 angelou

angelou

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:58 PM

Error Message on Explorer.exe

When I try to only open one of my movie files
the entire explorer tree crashes

The error message is always that explorer encountered a problem and must
close.
<P>

When I click to find the problem I get the following message
Then when I click OK, the entire explorer tree crashes.<P>

I go back to "my computer", click this file, and the same thing happens
Does anyone out there know how I can fix this problem ?----------------------------------------
<BR>
===========================================================<P>
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\186c_appcompat.txt<BR>
ModName:xvid.dll<BR>
Location in C:\WINDOWS\system32<P>
=======================================<P>
If anyone knows how to fix this please email me at<P>
xxxxxxxxxxx :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you might want.

Edited by tg1911, 11 October 2005 - 10:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:21 AM

Does this error happen when opening other files, websites, etc. or just this one file?
When did you start experiencing this problem?
What version of windows and any service packs installed?
What version of IE?
Is you windows version fully up-to-date with update from Windows Update ?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:38 AM

What ap are you using to play the movie file (file association)

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:42 AM

Also, check your Event Viewer (Start...Run...type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter) to see if you can get any more information about the error.

Since it only happens with movies, the problem is most likely with your movie player and how it interfaces with explorer. Try updating the movie player (and check their site for similar problems).

If it's a Microsoft movie player - try running SFC.EXE from the Run dialog. Also, you can try a repair install (but this is a rather drastic fix) by following these directions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 angelou

angelou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:46 AM

Does this error happen when opening other files, websites, etc. or just this one file?

No, Just one, this one particular file. which is a movie page
The entire tree of explorer crashes. I have other movie pages,
but they open and do not cause crashes.

When did you start experiencing this problem?

About three weeks ago.

What version of windows and any service packs installed?
What version of IE?

Windows XP Pro with service pack 2

Is you windows version fully up-to-date with update from Windows Update ?
Yes

Also, check your Event Viewer (Start...Run...type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter) to see if you can get any more information about the error.

I went to the Event Viewer and studied it. It shows a list of errors, (and I see this one all the time)
but I do not know what to do with it)

Since it only happens with movies, the problem is most likely with your movie player and how it interfaces with explorer. Try updating the movie player (and check their site for similar problems).

I have several files that contain movies, but none of the others crash when opened only
this one.

If it's a Microsoft movie player - try running SFC.EXE from the Run dialog. Also, you can try a repair install (but this is a rather drastic fix) by following these directions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

I guess you are right on this one, I will wait and see if there are less drastic options.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:58 AM

What happened 3 weeks ago (when the crashing started). Did you add any new hardware/software? Did you update any hardware/software (to include Windows). Did you access this file with any other software? ETC....

Please let us know what the error messages (in Event Viewer) say - it may be that they can point us towards a fix.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users