Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time Settings for Email

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AquaFire

AquaFire

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:45 AM

Hello All,

Have been using email for quite long now. However just wanted to ask that what timestamp exactly is applied on the email messages which are sent out via IMAP/SMTP or Web Based Email (like Gmail, Yahoo etc).

1. Is it the time stamp on the local PC from which it is sent ? Both in the case of using a offliine email client like Microsoft Outlook or when using Web Based Email Client

2. Is it the time stamp of the servers which are responsible for routing the email message ? Various timestamps can be seen in the detailed message header if it is routed via multiple email servers, but which one can be considered the actual email time ? The latest one which delivered the message to the final receipient.

3. When an email arrives in my inbox (Outlook or Web Based) what does the email time represent ? Is it the sender's time of sending the email OR is it the arrival time of the email in my Inbox ? OR is the arrival time of the email on my POP3 or IMAP server (which maybe downloaded by me later)

4. Also it happens a scenario quite rarely, that if in case the time on the local PC is incorrect and set to a date earlier than the current date, the would it affect the email being sent ?

5. If the email carries a timestamp of past then would the SMTP server accept and handle it, and if does arrive in the receipeints email box, then it would appear on a past date and hence would not be shown in the top of the list sorted via latest messages on the top.

6. What effect does the timezone settings has on the email sending / arriving time. For example if someone living in timezone GMT+1 sends me an email at 1:00PM local time, and I am living and receiving the email in GMT+5 timezone , then how will the email client (again Outlook or Web Based Client) interpret the time. Does it shows to me the email time ( depending on the answer of question number 3, sending time or the arrival time) in my local time zone (with adjustment that would be actual time + 5 hours which make it 6:00PM in the example) or will it show to me the email in the actual time according to original time zone. This also affects the settings when we send the cross-timezone meeting requests via Outlook for conference calls.

Just asking to have a clear concept of timestamp and its usage in the email and other communication tools.

Thanks for reading in detail answering.
Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

I suspect that most of these questions would be answered more quickly by your ISP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users