Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer takes over url/passowrd boxes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 anniet

anniet

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

computer (older Sony Vaio running windows xp) fills in the url boxes with numerals (3 or 5) when I try to access web pages and fills in "password" boxes with *** (presumably the same numerals...) before I have a chance to type in anything. What is this? No new software added recently, but I do have a new "trendmicro" pop-up appearing which I did nothing to invite. I did a "system recovery" and the next start-up was normal but after a restart the problem came back. Then I did a system restore to 5 June (before the pop-up popped up) but the problem remains. Computer works - if one can call not accessing the web or one's accounts working. The other programs are okay, as far as I can tell. I know NOTHING about the tech side - I'm strictly an end user so if you can make suggestions as simple as possible, I might be able to try them. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:54 AM

Hi -
Can you type other items in normal letters, (notepad , Wordpad, etc) or is this for only typing URL's to your browser on this computer -

Thank You -

#3 anniet

anniet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

I've now tried a different keyboard attached to the Viao and the problem still is there, so I guess it's not keyboard. I apologize for the erroneous posting earlier today that the word-processing programs worked - I'm jumping among too many hardware configurations while this thing has the Viao down. When I start the Viao, it gets stuck on the logo and I have to punch escape to get it to move on to starting windows. This may be the same problem or a separate one - how would I know? That was an acceptable work-around until this overexuberant keyboard thing started...

Edited by anniet, 19 June 2010 - 01:12 AM.

#4 anniet

anniet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

all the other software is normal - I can type anything else anywhere else - just not in password boxes or search boxes. I don't think it's a keyboard thing - when I click the mouse on the left edge of a box, the box is flooded with digits or **** - apparently to infinity - it just keeps replicating...

#5 anniet

anniet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

touching the keyboard in any writing program starts the series of numerals also. So, might that mean the keyboard is off??? If so there any solution to that??

touching the keyboard in any writing program starts the series of numerals also. So, might that mean the keyboard is off??? If so there any solution to that??

#6 anniet

anniet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:44 PM

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

Could be a short in the port you are using. Is this a PS/2 or USB Keyboard?

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

Hi -
Please respond to the question from cryptodan above first -

You can then try a diskcheck by going to Start > Run Box and Copy and Paste this code in the box -
This will run a full 5 stage check and repair if there is any disk faults -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
If the computer cannot access this site then use these instructions -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
  • Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 19 June 2010 - 07:48 AM.

#9 anniet

anniet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

Dear CRYPTODAN - the keyboard is integral to the laptop, not separate - so it's not plugged into a port (as far as I can see...)

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

I would go and buy a USB Keyboard and try it in the USB Port, and see if the issue still exists.

More then likely you have a dirty keyboard, and a key is getting stuck or you spilled something on it.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

What type of connection for that test keyboard?

Did you disable the onboard keyboard function...before you tried the external?

Did you uninstall the drivers for the onboard keyboard...and then reboot to allow them to reinstall?

System model?

Louis

#12 anniet

anniet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

dear N,

How long should the disk check/scan take?

#13 anniet

anniet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

hamluis - usb port for the test keyboard, but it never occurred to me to disable the other keyboard - how to do THAT? - if i can, I'll try that. Viao model # VGN=FE670G ...thank you for thinking of that....

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

I would go into Device Manager...Start/Run, then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Under Keyboard...there may now be two entries, maybe one. In any case, click right-click on whatever is listed, then click the Uninstall option.

Then reboot the system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users