Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a pink monitor/tv

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cuppincakes

Cuppincakes

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

Yes, hot pink to be precise. I've looked up, down and all around and I've only found one that seems suitable, via Amazon. I'm currently using a 12 to 13-year-old HP CRT that may die at any second. I was actually given a new LCD monitor a couple years ago, but had to return it because it did a number on my eyes. Regardless of what I did to the settings, my eyes were watery and strained after only an hour or so. Of the ones I've seen in person nowadays, the displays looks much better. Of course, I still won't know what exactly will be best for me until I get it home.

I use my pc mostly for gaming and so I'm not really looking for anything larger than 19 inches. I WANT pink, but I realize that I just may not be able to find one. While I'm considering reusing and painting my pc case for a future new build, old Alienware full tower, I'm not really sure that's a good idea for a monitor. A few custom color places I've found online say no because of warranty issues, which is also the reason I'm not too keen on doing it myself either. I figure if it's easier to find a plain case to use if I mess up my old one than it is to replace or fix a display. I know there are still a few companies that make CRTs that might be easier to paint, but I'm sure I want a flat panel.

The one I'm considering from Amazon is made by Favi:
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-L1918A-V-P-19-I...Y/ref=de_a_smtd

I live in the USA. I'd be willing to have something shipped from abroad, mostly the UK, but only if the total cost doesn't exceed 300 USD.

The 5ms response time is slower than the 2ms I've seen on on the latest gaming displays, but I'm fully aware that I'd be paying mostly for the pink and not the specs. I just don't know if ghosting will be an issues. Again, I've been using the same home monitor for 12 years, and haven't really done much other than surf the internet elsewhere. I'd just like to know if it's worth giving it a try or if it's completely awful, and if there's anything else out there.

Oh, I'm also wondering whether or not my current pc will have any problems using a newer monitor. It's a P4 2.54 GHZ with 1GB of ram, and a Sapphire X1650 512 MB pro graphics card.

Thank-you for reading my incredibly long post.

Product Features

* Best in class picture with HD, 720p resolution and 3,000:1 contrast ratio
* Easy to reach side inputs
* Sleep Timer with remote control operation
* The built-in DVD player eliminates the need for a bulky DVD player with complicated setup and messy wiring
* Use your TV as a computer monitor by connecting your laptop or PC to the side VGA input.;
* The side USB and camera card slots allow you to use the TV as a digital photo frame!

Technical Details

* TV Tuner: Digital HD ATSC with QAM
* Digital Support: 1080i/720p/576p/576i/480p/480i
* Viewing Angle: 170/160
* Response Time: 5 ms
* Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 3,000:1
* Media Card Slot: Yes
* DVD Player: Yes
* USB Slot: Yes
* Inputs: 1 HDMI, 1 Component, 1 Composite, 1 TV, 1 S-Video, 1 VGA

Edited by Cuppincakes, 17 June 2010 - 10:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

you could try this it would be a better monitor and still in the pink that you want. bit pricey though, especially for a computer that old. As for the display, it depends on what your using it for, even with that 19 inch. For movie watching no problem, and for the games your running now-probably be ok though you might have to turn the resolution down for the game though, depending on it. As far as modern games, even with the old CRT and 800 x 600 resolution, youd be better off building a new computer.

As far as painting cases go, Ive done it-Had a lot of fun doing it to. Just a word of the wise though, when you go pick up the spray paint to paint the case, they make a clear sealant spray paint as well that helps seal in the paint and protects it from getting scrapped off, I would buy a can of that to, and after you get done spraying the case the color you want, go over it with the sealant paint a couple times to. It wont affect the color, and will help it last longer, because paint tends to scrape off computer cases real easy.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Cuppincakes

Cuppincakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

I saw that one, but I was worried about the size since the one I'm used to is only 17". It also doesn't have a dvd player, and I had hoped to downgrade whatever I buy to just a tv once I actually build a new system and buy another monitor. It also looks like a pastel Pepto kind of pink and I'm looking for more magenta or fuschia. That is an important difference, and I know I'm crazy for thinking so.The only reason I'm looking right now because this monitor is literally dying. Like, it may stop working again within the next couple minutes. So, any new system I built would still have to include a new monitor regardless. I'm kind of at a loss at what to do because I had expected this one to magically last forever. I figured it would be easier to find a monitor, then find or paint a case to match than vice versa. I wish I wasn't so picky. But I know that a year from now my shiny new pc will just be an outdated brick, so I'd at least like it to be a pretty brick.

And is there a special type of spray paint used to cases, other than ones designated for plastics since that's what mine is? Can it be sanded a bit or something to help make it stick better?

Thanks for your advice. I'll figure something out.

Edited by Cuppincakes, 18 June 2010 - 09:46 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

Im sure there is, however, I normally just buy the cheap stuff from wal-mart, and use the sealant. Sanding it probably wouldnt be a bad idea, never thought of that, though I think I would try it on a old case you dont use anymore first just to make sure you like the look of it. I can see where your coming from, and I thought the same thing at first, I was worried about going from my 17 inch CRT to a larger flat screen, until I tried my friends 22 inch LCD and decided it was worth a try, now im using a 22 inch flat screen, and have a hard time converting to anything smaller, lol. your eyes adjust, if its to big all you got to do is sit the monitor a bit back from where your at. And theres nothing wrong with being picky, whats important is that you have a computer that your happy with, and if you have to go out of your way to find a monitor that your happy with then thats great. On that note, yeah its not much smaller, but this TV looks a little more pinkish to me. Doesnt have a built in DVD player, but you got that in your computer, and once you turn it back into a TV DVD players are a dime a dozen these days at wal-marts and thrift stores.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Cuppincakes

Cuppincakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

Thanks! After a little more searching, I actually found this image featuring a full setup in pink using an R-2 toast case from GMC or Auzentech. I really can't tell if they're the same company with two different names or what their relationship is, but that's the color I'm looking for. I even like the case that some people seem to hate because it looks like an ipod? I read a step-by-step full install guide on it somewhere, but it is kind of weird. The powersupply is on the top, which I've been told isn't as good for heat control as being on the bottom.

http://gmc.co.kr/img/bbs_notice/sek/sek_2.jpg

I going to go ahead and email whoever they are to see if those peripherals are actually for sale. I seriously doubt they are, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Cuppincakes, 20 June 2010 - 12:41 AM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:01 AM

Thats quite the setup, you should be happy with it. I myself, prefer cases with bottom mounted power supplies, because A: they do indeed provide better cooling, especially if they have a intake vent on the bottom for the PSU alone and exhaust on the back just for it, meaning the PSU has its own air seperate from the rest of the computer, much better design then on top, and B: it makes cable management so much easier. That being said, that case should provide more then adequate cooling, unless your planning on doing a high end crossfire/SLI setup, and even then should be fine. I would recomend finding a modular PSU, but other then that that looks like a good setup there.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users