Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista-after combofix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigmistake

bigmistake

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

On june 16 I opened my computer and found a notice saying that the system was being restored to may 29, I knew I had a problem. I then restored the system to may 12, and everything seemed fine for 24 hrs,
then the next day I couldn't log on to AOL for about an hour I kept getting kicked off or sent to ONE NOTE.
I contacted ESET and they didn't know what to make of it because the virus log came back ok. Things kept changing and I started to notice that Chrome's bookmarks had been put in a folder.
Then I noticed two entries in the program files SMINST and Spyware doctor, I had not installed these and they were not in installed programs, they were installed May 28 and June 16.

Eset got back to me today had me run Combofix and that worked..I got control over AOL and email. And the computer seems to be working fine. However SMINST and spyware doctor are still in my program files and almost all of my programs including ESET, AOL, Epson printer,etc. are in ONE NOTE the MS OFFICE Program. Is this where they are suppose to be? Do I still have a problem? Eset thinks this is an AOL issue,
but why is everything there? When I go to ONE NOTE, I can eventually find the workbooks for AOL and ESET but I can't open , view, or delete them. And I can't find or open any of the other programs.

My operating system is Vista home premium.

I'm an old lady who would like to get a good nights sleep..is there anything else I should do or check to make sure I'm out of the woods?
Thank you for any help or advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log in the new topic. Please be sure to include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users