Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen on boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hey there Bleeping Computer family !!!
I have an Emachine EL1200, with Windows XP Home on it.
Went to bootup one day and it won't boot into the system.
It only goes into that screen that gives ya the options of SAFEMODE, SAFE MODE with Networking....etc
The computer won't go into SAFEMODE or any other listings. A BSOD very briefly flashes when I try to boot into regular mode.
I got out a Windows XP installation disc to try to fix this issue. I got to the screen that says " Windows XP Home Edition Setup, where it lists all the partitions.
Here is where I'm confused. It lists 3 partitions.
#1 (EISA Utilities) 9994MB ( 2912MB Free)
#2 (unknown) 71069MB ( 71068MB Free)
#3 (DATA) (NTFS) 71563MB ( 71467MB Free)

When I highlight each partition , I look for a choice to "REPAIR" that partition, but it doesn't give me that option, like it should. I get the option to SET UP WINDOWS on the partitions. I get the option to CREATE A PARTITION and I get the option to DELETE the selected partition. How can I repair the boot up part of this computer unless I get the option to REPAIR it ?
Help .
Any and all help is greatly appreciated !!!

Edited by Pandy, 25 June 2010 - 08:38 AM.
Moved from Windows XP to Malware Removal ~Pandy

The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

I have the same system smile.gif.

I don't remember what I did with my eMachines disks...I already had XP SP3 disks and I only need one.

It sounds to me as if you have a disk that will reinstall XP...but won't allow for repair of XP. All or nothing.

If you had a true MS Genuine XP CD...you would have the repair option, along with the others.

The EISA partition is what contains the eMachines controlling/remote, etc. software.

The "unknown" partition is probably a recovery partition (but it appears too large for that, IMO) or it's a partition which Windows cannot read. I suspect that it's your system partition gone unreadable.

The data partition was created by eMachines because they had the space and it was created to store data files, backups, etc...anything that doesn't need to be on the system partition.

I found the system to be troubled, as originally set up...so, the moment I received it (via my brother), I did a clean install of XP, after deleting everything eMachines had installed. That system has presented no problems since that moment.

Louis

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

Thank you for such a super fast reply !!!!
Do you think if I got my hands on a better Installation disc, that I may be able to save what I can't get into ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

I did want to mention also, that before I get into the screens that I mentioned before, there is a screen that gives me 3 other options:
1 To setup Windows XP now, press enter.
2 To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
3 To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
Would getting into the Recovery Console help any ?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

To be honest...I think that partition listed as "unknown" is your biggest problem.

Nothing in the Recovery Console will overcome that.

But...let's not be impatient, I want someone else to have a look at this smile.gif.

Louis

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

Hi RacefanofJr,

If the issue is not resolved please update me on the current condition of your computer.

#7 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

I waited for someone else to look at it but nobody replyed so I reinstalled Windows and started over. Everything seems to be fine now. That you for all your help !

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

Apologies for the delay and thank you for letting me know.

This thread will now be closed since the issue seems to be resolved.

If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users