Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intro & Complaint...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 notsuchatechy

notsuchatechy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

Can I just say one thing (ok two or more):: 1. thank GOD for forums like this to help people like me to fix comp problems. 2. Can any of us BE more angry about the viruses out there? I came to this site to get help fixing VUNDO (new 4 letter word for 2005), and it's amazing how many people on here have the same thing as me. :thumbsup: ... I like what my brother says = string up all the virus writers, and kneecap them.. ugh!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:18 PM

Posted Image notsuchatechy
A bit drastic.... but i can see where your coming from. :thumbsup:
Hope your computer is all sorted now.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 notsuchatechy

notsuchatechy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:02 PM

not fixed, yet.. I signed up at work... looking at the instructions there.. had to do this from home, wait for a reply... :thumbsup:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:47 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, notsuchatechy.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:36 AM

The best defence against malware attacks is knowledge about how to prevent them using a layered security approach, and exercising a lot of care about what you download. Spending a few hours reading some of the excellent Tutorials about computer security will go a long way in preventing future problems.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 notsuchatechy

notsuchatechy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:51 AM

John =

Totally agree.. I was playing last night with the security settings/levels, etc,, but could not seem to find a happy medium to allow Everquest traffic, but still block malicious stuff.. We usually keep the firewall on, at the highest level - this has seemed to work beautifully for the past month... as long as we aren't playing EQ - once we get onto EQ, it seems the only way to allow EQ traffic is to completely turn off the firewall - thus getting exposed to everything. Trying to tweak the firewall only succeeded in getting warning popups that this program, that program, needed to be allowed or not... It was frustrating, and didn't allow EQ logon. Once I reset everything to the default, and prior settings, getting online was no bother, but getting onto EQ was impossible... The instructions EQ has on their support website leave a LOT to be desired, in terms of ease of use - they just don't make sense... Anyone out there have any ideas? - really the only thing that is difficult is trying to figure this out (other than fixing the vundo we got, as a result of turning off the firewall.. could strangle the hubby for THAT one...)

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:59 AM

Not everybody reads the introductions.
I would suggest you post this problem in the Games forum.
Someone else may have had the same problem, or has a solution as to how to fix it.
You would be more likely to find the answer to your problem, there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:53 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! notsuchatechy.
Glad to have you aboard. You've come to the right place for computer help.

Good Luck,
yano

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users