Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Cd-r/rw Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:33 PM

Hello.. Im trying to help my friend with his CD drive, Im studying for my A+ cert so i need all the practice i can get... Well.. He has a "Philips CDD4851", and im sure you've heard of numerous problems with it.. The cd continues to spin at faster speeds, never reads the disk, and continues to spin even when he ejects the cd. It sounds to me like he is missing some files, possibly a .ini or autoplay.exe. IF someone could direct me where to start so i could help him?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:56 AM

Presumably, this is XP. But most of this stuff will work with other Windows OS's.

1) Uninstall the device in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows redetect it. Then test it.
2) Go to the Philips web-site and make sure that the CD firmware is updated.
3) Try another drive in the same location to make sure that it isn't a hardware failure of the drive. Also check the cable to be sure it's good and has the proper number of wires (40 vs 80 connector)
3) Flash the BIOS to the latest version
3) Go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and ensure that all the mobo drivers are updated (don't forget the 4in1 - aka Hyperion - drivers with a VIA chipset).
4) Ensure that Windows is updated
5) Run SFC.EXE to make sure the system files are intact

and lot's, lot's more...... :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users