Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HTML Help needed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 08:48 PM

I am presently learning HTML--using lessons from Mindleaders. COM. THe instruct is good but having problem. I understand the tags OK. I was told I could compose my HTML "page" using notepad and then open it with WIN IE offline. That is fine except the IE doesn't display what I have composed in WEB page format. It just shows text complete with all of the tags. Any ideas?? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but what?? :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:11 PM

Ideas here, Ed, answers a definite maybe

The boldprint & italic are mark up tags. I can use FASS, like we talked about last week, and preview the post. It then shows sans tags, as it would in a post. Click copy and it's now available to paste but does it "carry the tags"

Notepad files, when right-clicked will open in wordpad if you choose. Wordpad will open in Word, if under the same circumstances, you opt for that to occur. Each of those programs get increasingly more options to use.

I can also open the notepad in MS Word. Highlight any URL and have it HTML tagged ready to click on instantly. Then cut/paste it to post, but the FASS gives me a better preview, I think, and so I haven't tried directly postin' Word docs yet.

Opening in IE I just plain steer clear of, and since it's the default browser for Word I think (still learnin', Ed) I use the FASS and Firefox. (I think we both got stung with CWS last week, didn't we?) It's possible the pest patrol delivered me a false-positive, but thats :thumbsup:

Ask a simple question and sometimes the phawgg rolls in. :flowers:

test & scribble, I used FASS. Copy/Paste
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 11:09 PM

When you save your notepad documents, do you save them as .html ?
If they are saved as the default, .txt, it won't work.

Here are a couple of good HTML sites for beginners:

Davesite
html goodies
Introduction to HTML
pagetutor
Writing HTML
HTML Basics
w3schools

A couple of extras you'll find helpful:

ALT Codes
Color Scheme Generator
Complete HTML True Color Chart

Edited by tg1911, 03 October 2004 - 11:10 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:30 PM

Thanks to Phawgg and TG1911 for the help with learning the HTML--I will prevail!!!
I never give up--dogged determination :thumbsup: :flowers:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#5 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:11 PM

Manually typing in the .htm extension in the save as dialog in notepad did the trick. It saved as an IE file and opened right up in IE w/o any tags and formatted OK--Onward and Upward !!! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:11 PM

Your, welcome.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:55 PM

:thumbsup: The enemy hijackers have reason to be concerned, EdBee, the more dogged determination they face against them, the harder it will become to run amok online and wreak havoc on innocent users. :flowers:

Edited by phawgg, 04 October 2004 - 03:56 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:49 AM

YES! Very shortly they and their ilk will be cowering in their spider holes, whining and whimpering profusely. And I will laugh and chuckle uncontrollably. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users