Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP network connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rsa101

rsa101

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:53 AM

I have an intermittent connection with my network. What should I check to ensure that there are no problems in my network connection.

I often experience this when I see the button that signals I am connected with the net and suddenly it gets disconnected and after a while it get connected again.
I do not know what is the problem with it since all PC connected does not experience that problem with them.

Edited by rsa101, 17 June 2010 - 02:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

Hi -
Have you contacted your ISP and asked if your connection is stable -
They can monitor it for you from their end -

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

I need more information:

1. Whats your internet comming through, DSL, CABLE, or DIAL UP?
2. Are you using a router, or just a modem?
3. How is the affected computer connected to the internet, wirelessly or wired?
4. On the modem and or router, when the internet to affected computer is lost, does the modem or router have a light saying its not working or is there still internet available. ( you can also verify this by having another device connected to the internet if you have a router, and check to see if that device also looses connection when the computer your talking about here looses connection.

5.What kind of computer do you have? Laptop/desktop/brand name an model number, if wireless and desktop, what wireless card installed?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 rsa101

rsa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

Answers below in bold

I need more information:

1. Whats your internet coming through, DSL, CABLE, or DIAL UP? Cable Internet
2. Are you using a router, or just a modem? Router/Network Switch
3. How is the affected computer connected to the internet, wirelessly or wired? wired
4. On the modem and or router, when the internet to affected computer is lost, does the modem or router have a light saying its not working or is there still internet available. ( you can also verify this by having another device connected to the internet if you have a router, and check to see if that device also looses connection when the computer your talking about here looses connection. The affected PC is the only one that is disconnected. It is connected to an office network and other PCs are doing good.

5.What kind of computer do you have? desktop/generic brand,

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:15 AM

Sorry, i couldnt reply earlier, long weekend for me.

Cable internet is pretty stable, unless you have a grounding issue outside where the line comes in to your house...but you said it was an office connection, are u at work?? Is there an I.T department?

Is your router a regular 4 port router..or the network switch board that has 12-24 connections? ...try a different wired port, see if that fixes your connection and starts affecting the computers internet that you moved into your old port.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 rsa101

rsa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

Sorry, i couldnt reply earlier, long weekend for me.

Cable internet is pretty stable, unless you have a grounding issue outside where the line comes in to your house...but you said it was an office connection, are u at work?? Is there an I.T department? Unfortunately, there is none I stand as IT guy in our office.

Is your router a regular 4 port router..or the network switch board that has 12-24 connections? ...try a different wired port, see if that fixes your connection and starts affecting the computers internet that you moved into your old port.

Our router is a desktop on linux base connected to a two 24 switch hub.

What I did is try to restore my windows to a previous date. It somehow resolved and I try to pull the lan cable out and in again. I do not know if this is enough to really test it. I am not knowledgeable of this things. I am not an IT professional although I act as an IT guy in the office :D

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

Try directly connecting on computer to your cable modem and see if you still get this issue. If you do, then its a cabling issue, and you should call your cable company.

#8 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

What I did is try to restore my windows to a previous date. It somehow resolved and I try to pull the lan cable out and in again. I do not know if this is enough to really test it. I am not knowledgeable of this things. I am not an IT professional although I act as an IT guy in the office :D

So your saying that restoring to previous date fixed your problem?

Pulling the cable out and plugging it back in to your computer isnt ging to fix the problem if it still persists.

goto the router, unplug your cable to the computer from there, and plug it into another port, if this fixes your connection, its the port. if not, try a different ehternet cable, maybe bad wiring in the one your using. If that doesnt fix your problem, you have eliminated the router as the problem, and the ethernet cable. If everyone else still has connection, and you have tried another ethernet cable that works for someone else, and you still have no internet, its your computer that is the problem and maybe needs some special attention.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

Try directly connecting on computer to your cable modem and see if you still get this issue. If you do, then its a cabling issue, and you should call your cable company.

To further expand on this recommendation here is the process:

1) Turn off Router by unplugging it.

2) Turn off the Computer and move it to the router.

3) Plug everything in to the computer such as network cable.

4) Power Up the router/Modem and wait for it to be fully up.

5) Now power up the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users