Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox crashes and redirects, some sort of virus, trojan or rootkit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 360gamer117

360gamer117

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:59 AM

Very early on yesterday my computer became infected with a very obnoxious virus/trojan. I managed to kill off most of what was in there, because it no longer tries to run fake anti-virus, and my browser works again. I was unable to run most of my programs so I did a system restore to a Monday's settings. However, I still seem to have something in my computer. Firefox (3.5.9, on Windows XP Home edition) has been crashing quite frequently. Also, when I do a Google search I sometimes get redirected when I click a result. Nothing too bad; just a crappy portal or shopping page. But it needs to stop, so I'm going to need help finding and killing this thing once and for all. I've already run my antivirus twice (avast! v4.8 Home edition), finding 4 infected files the first time and then finding none the second. I've stopped a few plugins in Firefox that are often attributed to suspicious behavior, and I've run SpyBot S&D, finding and fixing 8 infected files. I've checked my Task manager for suspicious looking processes but haven't found any. I'm at a loss as to what to do next, so any help is much appreciated.
Also, I'm fairly tech savvy but some things are a bit more out of my league than others, so I might need clarification. Thanks in advance.

Edited by 360gamer117, 17 June 2010 - 01:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 360gamer117

360gamer117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

If someone could please take a look at this, I'm completely stumped. I ran some scans and found 4 objects using avast! and 8 objects using Spybot S&D, then ran Malwarebytes twice and found another 15 items between the two scans. However I am still getting redirects and the occasional pop-up, and I really need this off of my machine.

#3 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

Follow these instructions and run TDSSKiller
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller

#4 360gamer117

360gamer117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the link but it doesn't work.

#5 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:19 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users