Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what music progs are they for linux?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ibbo

ibbo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:58 PM

what music progs are they for linux & are they any good ? is there any thing like ableton or reason? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:10 AM

Edit: Ok, I need to start reading things more carefully! I understand the Ableton isn't a player but rather a loop sequencer. I don't use loop sequencers, but here's an article I found http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000304 and here's a list of stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux...re#Synthesizers and http://linux-sound.org/loopers.html

I've never used Ableton, but there are tons of music players for Linux.

My favorite is Amarok 1.4 (version 2.0 did not sit well with me)

Then there's:

Banshee which I did not like, but some people do (they're wrong)
XMMS Never tried this one
Beep which is based on XMMS
Zinf Never tried this one either
RhythmBox Supposedly the best Linux player for using an iPod with. I don't own an iPod so I don't know.
juK Another one I haven't tried.
soma looks kind of rough around the edges, but I hear good things.
MPlayer and VLC are kind of like the nuclear Swiss Army Knives of Linux audio/video software. Powerful, flexible, and potentially hazardous to your sanity. :D

There's dozens, if not hundreds, of others. Look in your distro's package manager program and you'll very likely find all of the above programs and many more ready for installation.

Edited by Andrew, 17 June 2010 - 04:21 AM.

#3 ibbo

ibbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

thankyou very much bleeping night watchman your links are very useful & intresting this has helped me decide on changeing one of my machines over to linux
cheers! :thumbsup:

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

Muahahahaha!!! Yet another conversion to the dark side! Soon my army will be complete! :thumbsup:

#5 ibbo

ibbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

nice one andrew :thumbsup: i come over to the darkside at the weekend :flowers:

#6 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:49 AM

Me too, I like Linux Mint, the distro of Linux is important sonically as well.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users