Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth upgrading my "laptop" given it's specs/age?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

I own a Clevo D900T compact desktop, which was given to me by my older brother two years ago. Since then, it has served me well, much more than my now-9 year old Dell Dimension 4400 had beforehand. It's got so many things that are worth keeping it around.......nice 17' screen, card reader, several USB ports, built-in TV Tuner, S-Video Out, DVI-Out to name just a few, but specs-wise it's definitely long in the tooth, and is starting to lag on me and my uses:

Windows XP SP3
3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 HT
1 GB DDR2-533 SDRAM (upgradeable to 4GB, though 1GB is always used for PCI space)
256 MB ATi Mobility Radeon X800
Intergrated Surround Sound
74 GB Hard Drive

On top of that, the laptop itself is kind of banged up. The screen hinges are very loose, so I don't mess around with moving the screen much. (Of course, with such a huge, noisy and hot laptop I doubt that I'll ever be moving anywhere with it). The battery's dead too, and given the age of the laptop is not worth replaciing. It also requires an external floppy to reinstall Windows, as XP doesn't contain the neceesary SATA drivers.

My main motivation (and conflict) for keeping it is the TV Tuner, which I don't see many laptops sporting. I'm into video editing and production, and like to capture stuff from TV and old VHS recordings often.

I'm contemplating on buying a 2GB set of RAM to spice it up on the cheap. But given the specs, should I instead save my money and purchase a new laptop? Are even the low-end laptops out nowadays more powerful than what I own now? (Of course, I know to direct any further questions to the "purchase" forum)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:12 AM

That's an old system. If you're really attached to it, you can upgrade it with more RAM. The money it costs to upgrade the RAM might be better spent on a new laptop, though.

Edited by DJBPace07, 17 June 2010 - 02:13 AM.

3939.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

Ram maybe, and even then-if its doing what you need it to now, I see no reason to. I have an old Hp dv8000-with only 768 mb of ram. and a 1.8 ghz AMD turion, with a ATI radeon xpress 200m I use it pretty much only to surf and watch movies, kind of a traveling computer, and it does everything I need it to. I bring this up just to emphasize something here-it does what I need it to, and I wont dump a lot of money into it, If I need more power I have 2 desktops that will blow it away performance wise, so I guess the question is up to you-do You need more power? If you use it to do a lot of graphics editing, and you cant afford a new laptop, 2 gigs of ram may indeed be a wise investment. Otherwise, you might be able to skimp by with this and save for a new one. And buying a new one doesnt mean you have to get rid of the old one-I have 3 different computers, and each has a different purpose and does different tasks then the other 2.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users