Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted image files in vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cjmdjm

cjmdjm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

A friend of mine has a computer used for image editing. After inserting a CF card into the computer's card reader, the raw image files (cr2 files) can be opened in adobe bridge/photoshop, but they sometimes appear corrupted. Sometimes one opens a picture to find that it is fine, but later when it is opened it is corrupted. Once it is "corrupted," even opening it in another program it still appears corrupted. This occurs even if you copy them to the HD and then open them, or just open them on the card. If they are opened in another program first, they usually appear ok, i guess i need to make sure that it isn't adobe that is corrupting them. However, if the computer is restarted, or if the card is inserted into another computer, the files appear ok again until they start becoming corrupt again. Also, the computer occasionally gives a blue screen of death error, saying irq not less or equal.

I have ran a couple passes of memtest86 to check the ram, and it appears fine, however I am having my friend run it all night tonight. I have not noticed any files besides image files becoming corrupted. The problem occurs with several different memory cards, so I don't think its a bad memory card, and I have also tried several different usb card readers in addition to the built in one.

I am not really sure what is causing the problem, whether it is software or hardware, so this might not be the right forum. To summarize what I have done to try to eliminate possibilities: Multiple card readers have been tried, multiple cards have been tried, a different computer has been used (which the images do work on), different image viewers have been tried. Other things to note: The problem is not constant, but it seems that continually opening the raw images eventually results in corrupting them. Also, I found this very interesting, if I copy all the images to the HD, and get one to be corrupted, if I then open it from the memory card it is also corrupted.

My definition of corrupt: the images end up with strange streaks of color across them, sometimes they are nearly unrecognizable. For example google image search for corrupt cr2 files, and look at the ones with weird streaks of color.

I'd be grateful for any advice, right now I am pretty lost.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

File/data corruption...has nothing to do with RAM, IMO.

The files rest on the partition, which rests on the hard drive. Files become damaged on the hard drive/partition, assuming that they weren't damaged while being written to or stored on the hard drive. A problem with either the file system or the hard drive itself...can ultimately result in file damage.

Running chkdsk /r routinely...followed by a defrag of the partition...is the best way that I know to prevent/overcome such.

Data corruption and loss causes and avoidance - http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html

File Corruption & Its Consequences - http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/ar...3.asp&guid=

Louis

#3 cjmdjm

cjmdjm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

I agree that the hard drive is a possibility, and will go ahead and run a check disk next time I am there. The memtests came out free of errors. The reason I am skeptical of a hard drive problem is that even when the files are opened directly from the card they can become corrupted, and also the corrupted files revert to normal after a restart. However, hopefully the check disk will shed some light on this frustrating problem, though I am currently thinking it might be a software problem.

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

Well...I've never known a corrupt file to become undamaged.

In the case of graphics...it seems to me that what you view as "damaged files" may, in fact, reflect a damaged video function.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with any of the files...but there's something wrong with your video drivers or chip/card.

Louis

#5 cjmdjm

cjmdjm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:47 AM

Been awhile since I updated this post, haven't had much time to work on the problem, but I did an interesting experiment on the computer the other day. I opened a file on the memory card, and it showed up corrupted (all weird streaky colors). I remembered the file name and went into my computer and copied the raw file onto a usb memory stick. I then removed the memory card and the usb stick and placed them into a different computer. When I opened the file from the usb stick it appeared corrupted on that computer, but if I read the image directly from the memory card it appeared fine. This is just another baffling clue to me, just hoping that maybe someone else can make something of it.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users