Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows explorer crashes when I select control panel

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rickgburton

rickgburton

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

Iím running Version 2002 WindowsXP Pro SP3. Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GIG RAM. All updates are current. Every time I click on control panel windows crashes. I get the error message windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. As soon as I click on send or donít send for the error report the task bar and all my desk top icons disappear or refresh. When the task bar returns itís missing one or two of the icons. SoundBlaster volume control icon is always missing. When I check event viewer, under applications, the error message is always the same faulting application explorer.exe at module ntdll.dll. Iíve gone through all my programs and uninstalled all the ones I no longer use. Iíve cleaned all my temp files and junk files. I donít believe itís being caused by spyware or malware. Iím careful and Iím running a good anti-spyware, webroot. This is what Iíve tried so far; I tried system restore but it doesnít go back far enough. Iíve had this problem for almost a year but it was random and then only when I clicked on a task after control panel. Under Performance-Data execution prevention, I have windows and windows services only checked. I tried disabling all the services under msconfig but it still crashes. Iíve run check disk twice and Iíve run sfc /scannow twice with no luck. Iíve searched online and Microsoft support and finding someone else with the same problem is easy however no one seems to have a solution for this problem. One other thing Iíve noticed while searching is this problem has been around for a few years and although most are very similar, I havenít found two people with the exact same problem. I havenít done a repair install of WindowsXP yet. Others have tried but the problem was still there after they did a repair from the disk. Occasionally DrWatsonís postmortem debugger will crash right after windows explorer crashes. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this? Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hi -
If this is not moved to another area of the forum - Here is one idea -
Have you run any anti Malware programs as well as your VIPRE (Webroot Antivirus)-
You can install the latest free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
It may pay to download Malwarebytes and scan with that - You will need to also perform these tasks when running Malwarebytes -
For those using VIPRE PREMIUM and having problems with V1.46 Malwarebytes updating, here is one fix.
  • Open VIPRE
  • Click Web Filter Settings
  • Click Allowed Web Sites
  • Add "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com" (without the quotes)
  • click OK
  • Close VIPRE
Now MBAM V1.46 should update normally.
A picture of VIPRE
To assist you -
Thank You -
EDIT - This is only one check - There is most likely other problems there also -

Edited by noknojon, 16 June 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Well...I see a lot of rhetoric about the explorer/ntdll error...but I don't see anything more than guesswork and some of that isn't very educated.

What's the Event ID..and the Source..listed for this error in Event Viewer?

Try the following.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All.

Then...File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Info On Control Panel Issue

Louis

#4 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. There's no need to belittle me Louis. I don't know a lot about computers. I'm 65 and I'm doing the best I know how. I apologize for not having all the information. Source: Application Error, Category: None, Type: Error, Event ID:1000. Application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5755, fault address 0x00011780. Followed by: Source: Application Error Category:None Event ID: 1001 Fault bucket 1228339622.
I ran Malwarebytes and it found 2 items that I deleted. I disabled all non Microsoft add-ons and the problem still exists. I ran ShellExView and disabled all non Microsoft shell extensions but the problem still exists. I switched users and I tried Guest account, same problem. I started in safe mode but still get the error. However in safe mode I could only get it to crash when I clicked on Control Panel>User Accounts. Iím not sure if Dr. Watson is configured correctly. There was only one user.dmp file created Dec 2009. I have to figure out how Dr. Watson works, sorry. Should I start with the Microsoft shell extensions and disable them one at a time? There are about 280.
I haven't downloaded BlueScreenView yet. I will do that now and post the results shortly! Thanks again for your time! I really appreciate your help.

Rick

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

<<There's no need to belittle me Louis>>

You are riding the wrong train, friend.

My comment had nothing at all to do with you...it was in reference to my search of the Web...which is what I do before I start throwing my uneducated opinions around. I like to know that someone with more experience dealing with computers...sees things that I may not be able to see from my little apartment in central Texas.

Not every comment that someone makes...is intended to be taken at any more than face value and the context in which it was stated.

Try using Google...and the phrase "ntdll error" and you'll see what I meant by my comment.

Louis

#6 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

OK I apologize again. I don't know that much about troubleshooting or computers. I know exactly what you mean, I've googled every word I could think of trying to fix this problem. During the last few weeks I've been spending several hours a day researching this error. Today I'm on my 9Th hour and I'm no further than I was 2 weeks ago. I'm old and my eyes are failing so please try to understand my frustration level when I thought you were referring to my post.

I downloaded BlueScreanView and ran it but it came up empty. I've tried safe mode but I haven't tried clean boot. Is there a difference and should I try it? Thank you for your help Louis and no hard feelings OK.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

No problem :thumbsup:.

If you have a .dmp file...BlueScreenView should have picked up the data contained.

The .dmp file should be in the Windows/Minidump folder...can you check the location and see if it's there?

Also...right-click on My Computer, select Properties, select Advanced tab. Scroll down to Startup and Recovery, click Settings. In System Failure section, make sure that the first two options are checked, with the third unchecked.

I would try to run sfc /scannow, on the premise that system files may be damaged. This command will replace any damaged/missing system files.

Note that this command must be conducted with a CD having the same SPs installed...as the system currently has installed.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Re clean boot...I've never used it, so I don't really know the advantages of doing such. It's not in my repertoire of tricks :flowers:.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#8 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

I think I figured out DrWatson. I made explorer.exe crash and 2 files were created. A zip file that contains user.dmp and DrWatson32.log I put both in a public folder on SkyDrive This should be the link: http://cid-a235c39fb84f71b4.office.live.co...se.aspx/.Public

I've run sfc/scannow several times during the past week. The last time was two days ago. I followed these instructions: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html. I copied the 1386 folder from the Windows Xp disk to C:\ . I then modified the registry to tell it the source path. sfc/scannow now runs all the way through without asking for the disk. I'm not sure about SP3. The windows file protection window says please wait while Windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their original versions. It takes a few minutes but it runs all the way till the blue bar fills the box. I'm running it now. Am I doing it wrong? Thanks. I will post the results. System Manufacturer and model is home made so I added a system info file to the public folder.

Link should be: http://cid-a235c39fb84f71b4.office.live.co...px/.Public?uc=1

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:49 AM

FWIW: I've never had success running sfc /scannow without the XP install CD. Since I have several (I have multiple MS OEM licenses), I tried the i386 trick a couple of times, just to validate that it works...then I went back to the CDs.

If the Windows File Protection window appears and it's processing...then it works :thumbsup:.

You might take a look in Event Viewer, System tab. Post the source and ID # for the last 5 events listed as errors...just type them into your next post.

I asked for the system manufacturer/model data...just to verify that you don't have an OEM (HP, eMachines, etc.) system where the manufacturer may have compounded potential system problems by creating their own partitions, including own control mechanisms, etc. Homemade is good :flowers:.

Louis

#10 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

Disregard the last user.dmp file. I added a new one for the last crash along with a new DrWatson32.log. I had to disable Windows Error Reporting before Dr Watson would leave me a .dmp file. This time I think I have it figured out. Sorry about that. I uninstalled some programs I thought might be the cause. I uninstalled; webroot, logitech set point, winzip, and malwarebytes. I ran sfc/scannow and I ran chkdsk. Unfortunately I still have the problem. The .dmp file and log are from a few minutes ago. I'm going to reinstall webroot but for now thats all.

The last 5 system events; Source: Service Control Manager; Event ID: 7035 and 7036

Should I change the setting in Dr Watson from full dump to mini dump?

Thanks again Louis!

Rick

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

I personally don't think Dr. Watson is terribly important to users...as I understand it, it's just a tool to let users know that there was a problem and it doesn't affect the generation of a .dmp file (which is important).

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...;source=Service Control Manager&phase=1

Background info on SMB, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

To be honest, I see nothing unusual in the Event Viewer errors and nothing useful in the data about SMB.

You've done a lot of tinkering, IMO, with that system.

I would probably just do a clean install of XP...to clear the air...and then troubleshoot issues as they occur.

I myself don't consider errors of any magnitude...without a BSOD and .dmp file. Anything else, I have to take my cues from Event Viewer.

Louis

#12 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:47 AM

While I was surfing the web looking for a solution to this problem, I found at least 2 maybe 3 users that did a repair install from the disk. It didn't work for either one. That's not saying I won't work for me, however I'm saving that as a last resort. And after running chkdsk and scannow several times and still having the problem in safe mode, I doubt a clean install will work for me either.

I've uninstalled a few things that could possibly be the culprit. I am trying to figure out how to use a debugging program. All my files and folders are changing colors. Some are black and some are blue. I know the blue is from file attributes, compress file to save space. Shouldn't all the files in a folder have the same attributes? I don't think it makes a differance in my case, I'm just curious.

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users