Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram upgrade results in BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SageMoonblade

SageMoonblade

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

I have recently sprung for a pair of patriot DDR dual channel ram rated at 1 gig per stick. Upon installation the system rooted and ran fine for about 15 min before the first blue screen popped up. I didn't think much of it at the time so I just rebooted and it still booted fine and ran well but crashed within 10 min this time. The BSOD was different this time, the first was Bad_Pool_Header and the second was Irql_Not_Less_Or_Equal. This time upon reboot I was stopped by an error stating that \windows\system32\config\system was missing or corrupt. I used the windows CD to repair that error and left the computer running over night. During the night it shut down I would assume due to a crash. I figured this morning I tried to turn the computer on but the machine wouldn't power up, it was like the cord had been pulled except the LED indicator lights on my board were on. I figured that the new ram might be bad so I pulled 1 stick out and it booted but crashed again quickly. I pulled that stick out and put the other stick in, booted good and also crashed. I extracted both pieces of new ram and left my two old sticks in, fixed the \windows\system32\config\system problem again and left it run while I was at work. With my two old sticks in it runs stable with no issues that I can find. Each blue screen was different. I have heard of people getting bad ram sticks but to have two bad sticks in the same package seems unlikely to me.

My motherboard rated for up to 4GB of ram (up to 1GB per slot) and will support dual channel.

My system is:
Windows XP home
mobo: Abit KN8 SLI socket 939
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 3800+ running 2.01 GHz
Ram: 1 GB I cant remember the manufacturer
Graphics: Nvidia 9600 GSO at 768 Mb
Three HDD 40, 80 and 160
One LG DVD burner drive

Yes I know my system is older.

If you have some information an way to aid in my problem please let me know.

Edited by SageMoonblade, 17 June 2010 - 09:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

It's easier to get tripped up with DDR, as opposed to DDR2, when purchasing...because I believe that the whole RAM scenario was looser when DDR came into vogue.

Not only must a user check the speed of the modules...he/she must also be mindful of high-density vs low-density modules...and understand that low-density is compatible with more boards.

That board only specs PC3200...but you cannot just assume any old PC3200 will run with the board.

I notice you don't indicate what Patriot sticks you bought...you might post that.

See first customer review comments at http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...n82e16813127225.

Additionally...some boards are just picky about what they will cooperate with. One reason it's not a bad idea to check the "recommended vendor list" if one is available for RAM specs for CPU/motherboard.

Louis

#3 SageMoonblade

SageMoonblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

The ram sticks are a PC3200 (400mhz) signature series with heat shields. To be honest I never thought or have heard of boards being this picky with ram, I have heard of ram not being happy working with other ram but never heard of a board issue.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

Read All About It From Other Links

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users