Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good video card ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 manstrongest

manstrongest

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

Hi,all guys,i am looking for a new video card,do you have a good recommendation?
My friend suggest me go for this Gigabyte Radeon HD 4550 512MB Passively Cooled PCI-Express Video Card ,what do you think it is good or not ?
I feel it is not good,so cheap,i need your advice.
Any other suggestions appricated ,thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:55 AM

It all depends on what you use your PC for. If you are an avid gamer, you might budget $500 for a top of the line video card. Just surfing the net, and looking at Word documents all day long, you might spend $40.

So, what are your system specs, and what do you want to do with your system?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:19 AM

like dpunisher said, depends on what your using it for. I have that exact same video card coupled with a biostar motherboard, 2 gigs of ram and a pentium D-Im using as a low end linux box to experiment with. All I use the system for is experimenting with linux (I do a lot of that) and watching movies, which it does great at. It has both good windows and linux support, runs cool, and provides decent image, even for Hi def movies. However, if your wanting to do a lot of gaming or video/graphics editing, your going to want a higher powered card. this is a good card, but not a powerful one-for a around the house, surf the web, general media and entertainment, its good, beyond that, find a more powerful card.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users