Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media center to media center?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aussieoak

aussieoak

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hi,

I have Windows Vista media center on my desktop that receives tv from satelite no problem at all.

My laptop Windows Vista also has media center.

The laptop is connected to my network.

How do I use the Laptop media center to connect to the Desktop Media Center so I can watch TV from it??

Edited by boopme, 16 June 2010 - 09:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

:huh: to BC, aussieoak.

Okay, I understand what you're trying to do.

You have access to your satellite's signal on your desktop and you can watch TV on it. I assume you have a TV tuner card of some kind installed.

You have a laptop that is connected to the same network, and you want to be able to use the same satellite signal and watch TV, as well.

Well, there are only two ways that can happen, that I know of.

The first being that you install a TV tuner card on your laptop and hook up the satellite cable to it. This would obviously tether you to the length of the cable, but it does work.

Your second option would be to do a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) from the laptop into the desktop, giving you control over the desktop whilst sitting at the laptop.

Remote Desktop Connection : frequently asked questions

You would be able to see what's on the desktop's screen (i.e. the TV show(s) playing in Windows Media Center, or whatever program you want to run).

This, however, is a most inelegant option due to the fact that RDC has poor performance as far as graphics and such go.

This may or may not work for you. I got an error message trying to watch a Netflix movie over an RDC. It shut Windows Media Center down. I don't know if it will do the same for live TV or not. You can try, but I make no guarantees.

Personally, I would go with option 1. Or just watch Internet TV on the laptop instead of live TV.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users