Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats the difference between Norton and a Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Viruses are free :thumbsup:

True story.

I service computers for a living and I can tell you one nightmare story after another about Norton but today topped it all on a new Gateway FX Machine I serviced running Vista. All web browsers will not connect to internet, no software will update however he is able to send/recieve mail and in safe mode all browsers work fine and he has a valid IP address saying we are connected to the Internet. So after running a few scans and the computer being 100% squeeky clean I realized the Comcast version of their Free Norton was not opening properly nor would it allow me to remove with the add/remove programs. So I try to use the Norton Removal Tool and that fails as well saying Norton360 etc needs to be removed from add/remove programs first.... Great... Never seen this before.... So I disable every Norton service I can find using auto runs and try to remove it again.... No luck internet is still down as if it is trying to connect through a proxy but its not.

I was about 5 minutes from surrending and reformatting the computer but as a last restort I gave RevoUninstaller a shot... sure enough it let me remove enough of Norton to get to the point where the Norton Removal tool would now work so I run it remove it reboot machine all symptoms resolved all browsers now work and all software updates fine... Congratulations Norton you have all the same symptoms of a Nasty virus/rootkit and are harder to remove then most(Not usually but as you can see it happens)

Word of advice for anyone running Norton save yourself some headache and remove it I have seen almost every version of Norton impact a computer negatively much more then it could help them with its horrible detection and removal rates I have seen Norton lock computers down to innoperable and as soon as you remove it computer comes to life as if it was brand new.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

:thumbsup:

That joke made my day. :flowers:

But yeah, I agree. Norton sucks.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 noobgore

noobgore

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

Now that was funny :thumbsup:

I second that.

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

Now, that really is funny!
I totally believe in you.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

I've experienced similar pains from Norton as well.

I need a special tool to remove this? What is it a rootkit? Come on... seriously Symantec? Poor software.
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users