Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook And The W32.netskyp@mm Worm

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smarty

smarty

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:18 PM

For the last couple of weeks I've been receiving a number of e-mails each day which are either quarantined or deleted by Norton. (Symantec E-mail Proxy has deleted the following .....) I don't believe that my PC has become infected with any virus as I've run the Norton scan and also Spybot and both appear clear. I am, however, looking for advice on whether it is possible to block these e-mails. All arrive from different addresses but I don't wish to just receive e-mail from those in my contacts. Other people I correspond with are having the same problem but we cannot determine the source. My Husband and I both share the same Inbox but with different accounts, we cannot think of anyone who has both our e-mail addresses in their contact list but we are both receiving the infected e-mails. Would indicate that there is a problem with our PC ?

The e-mails appear to be infected by W32.Netsky.P@MM.

Hope someone can help !!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:46 PM

Since they are comming from different addresses it would be hard to block them.
Makes setting up a filter tough.
A little info on the worm:
W32.Netsky.P@mm

As of March 22, 2004, due to an increase in submission rate, Symantec Security Response has upgraded W32.Netsky.P@mm (also known as W32.Netsky.Q@mm) to a Category 3 level threat from a Category 2 threat.

I would suggest that you, and your contacts, run this removal tool, just to be safe:
W32.Netsky@mm Removal Tool
And have them pass it on to their contacts.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 smarty

smarty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

I did try running the removal tool. I've now passed it on to my contacts, a few of them say they've tried it already. 9 more e-mails today, driving me mad !!!!!

Thanks to tg1911 for the info. Any other help will also be appreciated. Don't know what else I can do though and really don't want to change my e-mail address.

Edited by smarty, 12 October 2005 - 01:09 PM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 02:45 PM

You're welcome, smarty.
Other than getting a new e-mail addy, the only thing you can do is let your antivirus take care of it.
At least it's doing it's job.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users