Anyway, I started SUPERAntispyware free edition which was set to custom scan. I stepped away from computer since it was taking long. Upon returning half hour later, only thing on screen is desktop photo without any icons. System is dead. Here is what I did:
1. Push restart button and system reboots...setup BIOS displayed and scrolls, then I note message "PRIMARY SLAVE failure".
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (Model ST340014A)
HDA P/N: 100348956
Date Code: 06073
2. Press F1 to continue and more setup info appears; BIOS notes the presence of Primary Slave drive, screen switches to blank dark screen and that's it. There is no cursor visible. Turn off system.
3. Press restart and system goes thru same thing.
4. Restart again and enter BIOS to change Primary Slave setting to NONE (it was on AUTO). System proceeds thru startup and hangs.
5. Disconnect power and IDE cable and physically remove HD from system and reboot but system still hangs.
6. Installed HD onto another system as Primary IDE Slave, BIOS reports "Primary Slave HD: SMART command failed". Pressing F1 to continue results in blank dark screen...sytem is hung.
Any ideas what is going on? Also, what steps can I take to revive system? One priority is to try and capture data/photos on second HD.
Again, as always, thank you in advance for your assistance. I await anxiously your advice on how and what to do.
EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.
Edit ~ Moved again to Malware Removal ~Pandy
Edited by Pandy, 25 June 2010 - 08:35 AM.