Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Loco Me

Loco Me

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:50 PM

Hi...I was reading thru some of the posts and came across some info. It stated that the more antivirus programs running, the better protection. Is this true? I was always told to run only ONE.

Thanx for the response....

LocoMe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:11 PM

It is NOT true, if you have both active at the same time, which can lead to conflicts within the operating system. Having both on your hard drive, even with only one active at a time, also leads to one AV reporting as viruses things found in the other's vault which can be most confusing.
This should not be confused with having several anti-spyware applications handy, and running these one at a time; THIS kind of layered protection is necessary because the various companies will have different criteria for what constitues spyware, and will consequently look for different things.
I hope this answers your question,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:28 PM

Out of curiosity, which post, was that?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Loco Me

Loco Me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:35 PM

Out of curiosity, which post, was that?

I can't seem to find it right now, but I will keep looking for it. I saw it early this AM, so I'll have to keep searching. I'll post the info when I find it.

Thanx for confirming what I thought was true.

LocoMe

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for looking into it Loco Me.
I just find it curious that a post like that was made here, and went unchallenged.
2 AV's at the same time is a big "no, no", same applies to firewalls.
Thanks again.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users