Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access antivirus/antimalware web sites

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jlonecke

jlonecke

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Good afternoon all.

I've used this site a number of times to solve some pretty complex problems with client's computers.

Today I come to you with a doozy.

A while back, the computer in question had a scareware virus of some sort (XP AntiVurus 09) I used this web site and got instructions on removal.

Not too long after, it started showing signs of either a residual or new infection.
At first, the network connection was not working at all. Something was preventing the machine from picking up IP information from the LAN.

A little snooping around, and a malware scan found me checking the DHCP service, which had been shut off. Solved that problem.

Next, Firefox would redirect web searches to ad sites, especially when searching for antivirus/anti malware programs. tracked that down to a problem in Firefox itself. Uninstalled that, put it back, and everything works well.

However.

My last outstanding issue, is that I cannot access any web pages that have anything to do with antivirus/antimalware or computer security in general, either from IE or Firefox. I get search and page errors, and no indication that the sites I"m trying to find even exist on the web.

A battery of things have been done to this machine in the last few days to get it cleaned up.

1. Installed Malwarebytes (from USB Key...can't access the site, remember? wacko.gif )
2. Scanned with the Antivirus program that the client has, (Trend Micro Client/Server Security Agent)
3. Updated Malwarebytes, scanned again.
4. Pulled HDD and hooked it up to a USB bridge and scanned it with McAfee AV on a laptop.
5. Reinserted HDD, another malware scan.
6. Downloaded and ran Winsock Fixer
7. Downloaded and ran Spybot search and destroy

....all of these scans, yes, ALL of them have found and removed issues, with the exception of the final malwarebytes scan.

This machine is on a LAN, and it belongs to an rather large industrial company that is a client of ours. It's got software on it that controls one of their fancy (and very expensive) cutting machines, so pulling it, wiping it, and starting over, while an option- is our last resort.

I am an entry level tech, so any suggestions you have for me, please use small words, and as many pictures and diagrams (color) as you can supply. laugh.gif

Thanks in advance gentlemen (and ladies?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gforce321

gforce321

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

I'm a tech at a fairly large Public School district. We've been getting a lot of these lately and the one thing I would tell you to check is the connections tab in the internet options in IE. Click on the LAN settings at the bottom of the page, and if "Use Proxy Server" is checked, un-check it. I've been seeing this on most infections recently.

Good Luck!
Back up my Hard Drive? It has a reverse?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users