Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want it Faster, Stronger, Better!!!! But where to start?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

Greetings,

I'm wanting to build a desktop computer that will serve as:
A)Super Gaming Platform
B)Network Server
C)Media Editing Station
D)Work Station

NOTE: size or profiling is not an issue, custom cases can be made.

FIRST THINGS FIRST!!!! Intel i7 processors??? Is it really 8 cores or is it a quad processor with virtual cores that result from hyperthreading?
Is it really that much 'faster' or is it just better 'multi-tasking'?
Please explain these processors to me and the big difference between i3 : i5 : i7

I need a good recommendation on a motherboard. If I can figure that part out the rest will be easy.

I want a good processor; I want to run 2 graphics cards (need HDMI, DVI and VGA capability); I want to have the capability of having 2 Hard drives so I'm gonna need a board that will support that along with all of my other rediculous demands; I want atleast 8GB RAM (DDR3 or DDR5);
I think that's all the big stuff.

Again, if anyone could reccomend a board that could support all that hardware I would greatly appreciate it.
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

i7 processors have four or six cores. I can't speak for performance, but i3, i5, and i7 are completely different series. It's like comparing the AMD Athlon II to the Phenom II.
Go with a LGA 1366 board with an i7. The LGA 1156 has a 16-lane max for PCI-E. SLI/Crossfire will work better on a LGA 1366 platform.

Here are two high-rated ones.
ASUS P6X58D
EVGA E758-A1
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the reccomendations. I checked out both of these MB's. Just what I was looking for. The EVGA looks like it has a better layout. Thinkin' I'll go with that one.

Thanks again for the tip.

for3ver,
goose90proof
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users