Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black-SOD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Darksquire

Darksquire

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

I am working on a Dell laptop that will ONLY boot to a black screen with a mouse pointer. CTL-ALT-DEL or CTL-SHIFT-ESC does nothing. Pressing F8 at startup brings up Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, or Start Windows Normally. Every one of these go to the same black screen when chosen. I have rebuilt the bcd completely and renamed event logs in case either of those were corrupt and interfered with the boot process. I have a Vista disk that I have used the "Repair Your Computer option and it finds nothing wrong with the boot. There are no Restore Points or Backups to go back to. I can get to a Command Prompt using this disk, however I need to be able to get there with Administrator Rights or I get the spiel that I need "Run as an Administrator" when I try to run MSCONFIG.exe or Services.msc. Is there another tool or even a generic version of either of these tools that I can download and run from the Command Prompt? I haven't tried a reinstall yet or the Recovery Partition; I plan on doing that when I get home. I'm trying to be extra cautious, as this is not my computer. Ideas greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

If that's a blinking cursor...could indicate that you need to run the fixmbr command from the Recovery Console.

That's how what you state would translate if the O/S was XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users