Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista won't download or install any updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 billeggler

billeggler

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

I have what seems to be a fairly common problem with Vista, I cannot download or install any updates. I have not been able to download any updates for a long time.

I have Vista Service Pack 1 installed, in the Vista home edition that came loaded on my PC by Dell. But I cannot install Service Pack 2. Since I can't download ANYTHING using automatic update, I downloaded the standalone Service Pack 2. When I try to install it I get as far as about 40% installed of section one of the download before I get an error message that says "Install failed, reverting changes" and so I end up with nothing installed.

I have tried turning off my antivirus programs and my firewalls but that doesn't help.

Thanks in advance for you assistance it is very much appreciated.

Edited by billeggler, 16 June 2010 - 08:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

Dell Tips, Installing Vista SP2

Louis

#3 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Hi,
MS just released an update for SP3 (2?)that contained a caveat stating that if you didn't download this update it might prevent you from receiving further updates on previous SP's. I tried to find the exact update and I guess it's for SP2 but it does state that you "might not" receive future updates (in my opinion, May not = will not, in MS speak) but you can probably find what you need here (at least as a starting point). There are 2 updates you can use one contains the WGA and one doesn't (I think). I opted for the one that looked the least intrusive. I only have 2 Windows machines, all the rest are Linux, but I try to learn as much as I can about both. The update I was speaking of was I believe specific to Vista (horrible).
Hope this helps.
Good luck
doc
sorry:: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194

Edited by doctorphibes, 16 June 2010 - 12:53 PM.

I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users