Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista won't boot after Combofix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gtburrows

gtburrows

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

First off, I apologise for being the newb with a stupid problem. After reading the forum for a few hours I now realise I've done something that was very naive, namely using combofix without any idea of what it does. So I am very grateful to anyone who bothers to read this and can help.

Initial problem
Firefox kept opening new tabs to random websites. I have cookies blocked on my computer so this was just an annoyance at first. Running Spybot would reveal a few cookies including doubleclick, that would constantly come back. After numerous attempts to delete I later realised windows update was blocked. Then a few days later when trying to google for solutions I realised I had a redirect virus. It got to the point where I couldn't get to any sites that could help me and I got a bit desperate.

Action Taken
I managed to reach this page and thought I'd give it a try. I ran combofix as described with the cfscript.txt file. I did download the registry cleaner but it wouldn't display properly on my resolution and I couldn't run it. Firefox seemed fine after this, so I did the work I needed to do, then after a few hours the computer restarted before I could save the log. On the first restart I reached the start screen, but later efforts wouldn't boot at all and gave various stop codes. They advised to run windows start-up repair on the original windows cd. Two attempts would not fix the problem, and tried system restore but can't go back to before combofix obviously.

After all this I remembered I have 2 extra drives identical to the current, which I was planning to use in a raid3 set-up. I thought if I replaced the original and did a clean windows install, I could then install the old drive as a slave and start recovering data. I tried installing windows on both hard drives without success, resulting in stop messages and reboots before I could write down the codes.

I am now at a bit of a loss as to whether I can repair the original windows copy? Or alternatively just get access to my files. The other computers I have use IDE connectors instead of Sata, but I presume if I install the drive in a computer using Sata cables I can set it as a slave and access the info?

Edited by gtburrows, 16 June 2010 - 07:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log in the new topic. Please be sure to include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users