Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hello! and terribly slow xp home sp3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wysiwyg111

wysiwyg111

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:27 AM

Dear Forum:

hello! thank you for this forum.

a user brought his computer to me yesterday. it is a computer i had worked on a couple few months ago cleaning up things, tweaking settings, installing new programs and removing old ones (added firefox, avast, zonealarm, plus several applications and numerous small utils and device specific drivers, removed CA sec suite, norton (i think) and much bloatware). the machine had been working top notch since i worked on it and the user was very happy the whole time.

but a couple of days ago, he did a normal windows shutdown/turn off and things went awry. upon restart, access, boot, and running any program is slooooow. i asked him a few questions attempting to Dx over the phone, but everything seemed normal except the slowdown. so i had him bring it over. upon examination, i found the following:

cpu utilization at ~100% constantly
with no applications running, task manager reports the process "System" to be hogging almost all cpu
constant disk access. constant. access that looks almost exactly like copying a whole list of files 24/7

have done full avast up-to-date boot scan - couple minor spywares found, nothing to write home about nor would cause this. have done mem tests, no probs. running spybotSD and auslogic defrag at the moment. have the ubcd4win boot cd running right now and find completely normal running conditions when this fixed and minimal win xp pro sp2 setup is running from cd. hardware all seems to check out fine. must be the windows installation.

computer is this:
HP Pavillion 1810n
w/AMD 3300+ (~1.8GHz)
1.5G RAM
~160GHD - ~1/3 unused
DVD-RW / CD

downloaded "process monitor" (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) and HiJackThis. saved a huge log file from process monitor and placed on one of my sites on the web at
http://glamazon.com/temp/PM-Logfile.CSV
have installed HiJackThis but not yet created a log file as not sure what settings would generate the most useful output, but can have up on the web in a hot New York minute when someone suggests the best settings to generate logfile output.

any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Regards, wysiwyg111 at gmail.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wysiwyg111

wysiwyg111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

ug. AoneAlarm's log file was up to 48G - Gig!

delete and disable ZA logging.

see here to find out how.

http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks...g-file-how.html

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

I would have uninstalled ZA and then reinstalled it.

Better yet...uninstall it and try the Windows firewall. Most users don't need the complexities of ZA or use such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users