Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Wireless Assistant Error Message Following System Restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sumpole

Sumpole

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:36 AM

Hello all,

I had to perform a system restore on my netbook recently and since then I have been recieving error messages from HP Wireless Assistant. I thought this initially might be to do with Spyware so I have downloaded SpyBot and run the programme which found a few issues and dealt with them but the HP Wireless Assistant problem still occurs. I also have AVG Free edition and I have run this programme which had an exploit virus which it says it rectified.

The error is the following:

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : hpwamain.exe P2 : 3.5.9.1 P3 : 4a688586 P4 : mscorlib P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4889dc80 P7 : 1b2a P8 : c P9 : system.io.filenotfoundexception

I would like to get to the bottom of the problem and if anyone can help it would be really appreciated.

My Compaq Netbook runs Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002.

Thanks, :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

This is a valid program, but it is up to you whether or not you want it to run on startup.
Whether or not you need to run this program on startup must be decided by you. If you feel that you want this program starting automatically so that you have it available as needed, then do not disable it. The following information is a brief description of what is known about this file. If you require further assistance for this file, feel free to ask about in the forums.
Name: hpWirelessAssistant
Filename: HPWAMain.exe
Command: %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
Description: Wireless application bundled with HP computers that allows you to control different settings on the computer's wireless devices such as Bluetooth and WLAN.
File Location: %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
Startup Type: This startup entry is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry.
HijackThis Category: O4 Entry
Note: %ProgramFiles% refers to the Program Files folder. By default, this is C:\Program Files.

From Bleeping Computers user information -
It just seems like the install/.exe file was not placed back when you did the reinstall - Note: Any file can become infected -
Do you use Wireless or wired internet ?? If wired it is not required -

Edited by noknojon, 16 June 2010 - 07:55 AM.

#3 Sumpole

Sumpole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:21 AM

Thanks for that information, its really helpful.

I use wireless so I would definitely like to fix the problem so if anyone has any further advice on how I do that it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:20 AM

Do you have the exact model number so we can check H.P. in case any drivers/files are missing for this -
Also can you then check Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and see if this item is listed or has a question mark or exclamation mark beside it -
Thank You -
Edit - It may be a model number 5101 or a 1201

Edited by noknojon, 18 June 2010 - 05:23 AM.

#5 Sumpole

Sumpole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for your reply. In response to your question the exact model number of the machine is 110c - 1110SA

There are no exclamation marks or any other warning sign next to any of the icons there. I hope this helps.

Also since I have done the restore I cannot upload some programmes, one today, stuffit expander it comes up with an error message on boot saying an error occurred do you want to send a message to microsoft. Could it be linked, possibly to do with corrupt registry?

Thanks for your time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users