Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KVM switch not recognizing keyboard - is there a fix?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ozhawk

ozhawk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:49 AM

I have a Trendnet KVM switch connected to my computers. Whenever I switch from my business computer to my personal computer I get the msg to hit F1 because the keyboard is not being recognized. I also never get this message when I switch from my personal computer (Vista) to my business computer (XP).

Is this because this switch is not compatible with Vista? If so is there a list (I couldn't find one before purchasing this one) that shows the switches that are compatible with both XP and Vista? If compatibility is not the issue is there a fix for this?

Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

os

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

When I have seen that problem, it was with a KVM that was powered by the USB ports and not an external power supply. Switching to a powered KVM solved the problem each time.
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#3 Tim Ace

Tim Ace

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

I found that Vista has issues at times with KVM, try and boot the Vista system first log on then switch to XP system and log on then switch back and forth and look for error's. If this does not work be sure to check your windows updates on your Vista machine and make sure there up to date. Davidanders brought up a good point some USB do not put out power you can also try using a different USB port. hope this solves the problem.

Edited by Tim Ace, 18 June 2010 - 12:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users