Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems doing a distructive recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hcarson

hcarson

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

I hope I am posting this to the correct forum. My son has a Compaq Presario desktop. The info is as follow:
Compaq Presario SR1720NX
Product # EL435AA
Serial # MXF60407Z7

To make a long story short, the machine has a confirmed virut and I am trying to do a destructive recovery in order to set the machine back to its original factory settings. He is running XP and there was no recovery disk included when we purchased the computer about 5 yrs ago.

So here is my problem. I hit F10 and it shows going to the recovery console. It asks me "which windows installation would you like to log onto". I hit the number 1, then it asks for an admin password, I hit enter and then it goes directly to C:\WINDOWS> prompt

Not sure why it is doing this or is it because I am doing something wrong in the above? Please help!

Edited by hcarson, 15 June 2010 - 07:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:33 PM

Are you pressing F10 at Compaq's logo?
It should bring you to recovery partition, not to recovery console.
Unless, for some reason, recovery partition is gone.

You can always call HP. They're rather nice people and they'll send you recovery disks for free, or for shipping charges.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

What you describe...is what is supposed to happen when entering the XP Recovery Console.

Select the install...hit Enter...hit Enter at password prompt...the prompt awaits a command to be typed.

The XP Recovery Console is not the same thing as the HP recovery/restore mechanism.

HP System Recovery

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users