Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't access internet, but network Connection is fine.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 marty8210

marty8210

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hey all,

all help would be greatly appreciated with resolving an issue with a mate's Laptop.

O.S: Vista Premium edition.
Laptop: HP pavillion dv2500.

Background:

The machine became infected with a rogue anti-spyware program (Security Master AV) last week. One of the effects was the machine was unable to connect to the internet. I used spyware doctor to remove the malware (tried a bunch of other programs before this), but still it's not connecting to the internet. the internet was working perfectly before the infection. Have tried installing Firefox along with the original browser I.E 9 but to no avail.
I used the command netsh winsock reset command also (what netsh winsock reset command does are it resets Winsock Catalog to a clean state or default configuration)

Current Condition:
It is successfully connected to the wireless network, but returns the message " internet explorer cannot display the page" when I try to open a page, and when I click diagnose the problem it returns the message " Windows did not find any problems with this computer's network".
I can connect to the internet perfectly when running the machine in safe mode.

Again all help is very much appreciated, please bare in mind that my computer skill's are fairly basis.

Thanks in advance.

Marty

Edited by Budapest, 15 June 2010 - 11:42 PM.
Moved from Vista ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:11 AM

In Internet Explorer go Tools > Internet Options > Connections and click Lan settings. Make sure "Use a proxy..." is unchecked.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 marty8210

marty8210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:30 AM

Yip have checked this already, forgot to mention that I reset everything to default in I.E.
Cheers for the reply

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

Try these:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 marty8210

marty8210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for your help Budapest, just sorted it.
Norton Internet Security was blocking access, removing it done the trick!

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

:thumbsup:

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users