Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gmer question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 pixyz

pixyz

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

I attempted to run gmer yesterday starting around 5pm, and my CPU usage went up to 100% and stayed that way for nearly 24 hours. I clicked the save button around 1:20pm today after the program stopped showing files in the bottom information bar. I wasn't running any other applications aside from the task manager the whole time gmer was scanning. I never got a Rootkit activity warning, but it did list several files; most of them associated with R. R is a statistical software package I use from time to time.

Should I try to run it again? I do have loads of programs on my computer... How long should this program take to scan my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

24 hours is too long. You could try re-running it with the "Files" box unchecked to see what difference that makes.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 pixyz

pixyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Budapest,

For the last few hours, I've been trying to run gmer, with the following boxes unchecked:
IAT/EAT
files
show all

gmer seems to activate other processes grinds my laptop to a halt. I can't tell if it's still scanning, or if it's locked up too. CPU is up to 100% and gmer is only bouncing between 0 & 5%. I've tried to stop the other processes that are using up all of the CPU, but that doesn't seem to help, and sometimes makes things worse.

How many hours should it take to do a full scan with IAT/EAT, files, and show all unchecked? Should it be more or less than 5 hours? What factors contribute to the time it should take to scan?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Have you tried shutting off any real-time protection before scanning.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 pixyz

pixyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

Maybe that was the trick. I stopped Ad-Aware and Symantec, then ran the scan with IAT/EAT (?), files, and show all unchecked. It scanned for a few minutes, maybe 10 at most, and then I got a pop up that said "Scan stopped" I think.

It's a pretty short list...

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

I am closing this topic since you already have a topic here

While I understand your frustration, I also want to ask you not to post additional topics. I just checked, your topic is still in line and will not be overlooked, there are still 20 topics that are older and waiting for a reply, so you can expect a reply in the next 24 hours or so.

I also merged the two topics you had in the malware removal forum.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users