Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black after the Windows logo in normal & safe modes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scohen1

scohen1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

Basics: Dell Dimension 2350 desktop with 1G RAM running on XP (home edition?). USB mouse, keyboard & printer connections. Wired 10/100 Ethernet connection. Printer is an HP DeskJet D2660.

What happened: I'm fairly certain this reflects the order of the actions I took and the resulting problems but it's been a long few days.
There was an intermittent problem with the printer (ie it was flashing lights and printed items would sit in queue but never actually print). The computer was also running VERY slow. I used the update feature in the HP software but it didn't resolve the problem. I then used the Device Manager to look for better drivers without success so I deleted the printer (from the printer window) with the thought reinstalling would fix the issue however the PC locked up during the delete process (due to the delete?). Soft restart wouldn't work so I hard booted the system.

When I restarted the system I got a blue screen in the boot process with a ialmrnt5 file issue which I researched and learned is a video problem. After several re-attempts to start the PC in normal mode I booted to safe mode and used the restore feature going back to the last date in which system was working. When I restarted the computer I got the same message so I restarted it to safe mode and disabled the video driver hoping on restart it would find and fix the issue. The computer then started to normal mode but in what looked like VGA (?), ie big granular characters / icons. I tried to change the video settings from desktop > properties... without success (wouldn't allow me to select anything), I then tried to search for new drivers through the device manager without success, finally I tried the system restore again but when it came back up from the re-boot the screen went black after the logo. I now get this black screen regardless of if I select normal, safe mode or any other option (including the VGA mode) though I still hear the sounds from the 'select a user' screen so I believe it's a video driver issue.

I considered the recovery disc but, in the repair mode, it's looking for the administrator's password (which is not administrator, admin, Dell... I did try).

Help.... please????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

is the video card on board or a separate card also what are the specs of the card. :thumbsup:
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 scohen1

scohen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

Video is on board

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

sorry i forgot to ask you what are the specs of the video card? also in recovery console when it asks for the admin password just leave it blank and see if that works. :thumbsup:
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 scohen1

scohen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

No need to appologize, I appreciate the help. I did try leaving the password blank without success (I also tried Dell, Admin, Administrator). How would I determine the video card specs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users