Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't seem to install adobe flash

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Firefox 3.6.3

To view my local weather on weather.com I need adobe flash player. I tried following the link, but firefox said it couldn't go there, "maybe 'cause my settings didn't allow cookies" but I'm set to allow cookies and 3rd party cookies and delete all cookies when I close firefox.

I went to the adobe download site , clicked the download flash player button, then unchecked the McAfee scan option and clicked the install button, having allowed adobe.com under noscript. Nothing happened. Firefox usually won't install online, but I get the option to save the install file. I clicked the if nothing happens button [still nothing happened] and then the troubleshooting button and there was a download file link supposedly for flash player - adobe still insisted on installing online but this time I got a permission dialog from firefox to allow. Only what installed is Adobe DLM in extensions, which appears to be a download manager, and getplusplus for adobe under plug-ins. I don't see anything that says flash player and I still can't view the weather info.

How do I install adobe flash player in firefox - and w/out any extra download managers unless they actually help flash player's performance?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

There is a standalone installer here that you can try. :thumbsup:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

Thanks marktreg,

The next time I went to the weather page firefox said I needed a plug-in to properly view the page and all I had to do was click yes and it installed Shockwave Flash. [mutter mutter] I don't know why firefox didn't offer to install a flash player the first time I tried to access the weather feature or why it offered to install one when it did. Nothing seems to work the same way twice.

I already had the Shockwave Flash for Director Netscape plugin installed - which I thought was the shockwave flash player for firefox. ["netscape" usually being the plug-in code word for non-IE]. The weather feature now works and didn't w/ the shockwave flash player for netscape, so I guess I need both or I don't need the netscape one [I don't know what "for director" means].

The link you provided was for "Flash Player" and firefox installed "Shockwave Flash", but they have the same version number, so I guess they are the same program.

As usual, I don't know what's going on. I don't know if I need both shockwave flash players installed and if I still need "Adobe flash player" to access other web features. The Adobe download page has separate download buttons for Flash Player and Shockwave Flash Player, but I haven't been able to figure out what [if any] difference there is and when you need one or the other.

And I don't know why Adobe installed Adobe DLM extension and getplusplus for Adobe plug-in when I clicked on the flash player download button and yet didn't install "Flash Player". I unchecked the McAfee scan option and there were no other options to uncheck. I disabled both extension & plug-in and the weather feature still works, so I figure I can uninstall those add-ons.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

You are most welcome, MaryBet. :thumbsup:

This is what shockwave.com says about the Flash and Shockwave players.

What's the difference between the Flash and Shockwave Players?

Flash and Shockwave Players are both free Web Players from Adobe. Together, they bring you the best rich media content on the Internet. Each has a distinct purpose. Flash Player delivers fast loading front-end Web applications, high-impact Web site user interaction, interactive online advertising, and short to medium form animation. Shockwave Player displays destination Web content such as interactive multimedia product demos and training, e-merchandising applications, and rich-media multiuser games. When you download Shockwave Player, it automatically includes Adobe Flash Player.

I think I would uninstall those add-ons you mentioned. You can always install them again if you find it necessary.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

Thanks marktreg,

I apparently uninstalled those add-ins, altho I don't remember doing it. I had them disabled w/ no problems accessing the weather feature so I guess I went ahead and uninstalled. I kinda remember uninstalling. I think.

I read that comparison description at one point, but I don't know what a "front end WEB application" is vs "destination WEB content". And I wasn't sure if "includes" meant I should have both players listed in add-ons or if the shockwave flash player would play flash player content. On my winxp sp3 computer, where I was trying to access the weather feature, I had "shockwave flash for director for netscape" and after I installed "flash player' I now also have "shockwave flash". On my win2k sp4 computer I just have "shockwave flash" and never had a problem accessing the weather feature or youtube videos.

So I still don't know if "flash player" and "shockwave flash player" are different players required by different websites or if either download button at the adobe site currently gets you the same player, but "shockwave flash" works where I go and apparently "shockwave flash player for director for netscape" doesn't. I'm going to disable the "for netscape" player and then uninstall if there are no problems.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Hi MaryBet82,
Yes, the whole Flash scene is very confusing and Adobe has no idea how to make it less so. As I understand it, Shockwave "front-end" apps are mostly things like games, as explained by Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Shockwave

Flash Player plugins are different, and needed on sites like weather.com to render Flash content on the webpage, such as the maps and illustrations--not to mention Flash based advertisements. And there are two Flash Player plugins--one for Internet Explorer and another for all other browsers. To keep it simple, and to enjoy a more smoothed out web experience, it is best to have all three installed (if you use both IE and other browsers). Look in Add/Remove Programs for the following:

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX <--This is the Flash Player Plugin for IE.
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin <--This is the Flash Player Plugin for Firefox, Opera, etc.
Adobe Shockwave Player 11 <--This is the Shockwave Player that isn't specific to any browser.

I can't tell you if you need the Director plugin--from the Wiki it appears Director is for people who use Flash to design web apps/content. I don't, but have that plugin as well--still it shouldn't hurt to leave it installed.

And I don't know why Adobe installed Adobe DLM extension and getplusplus for Adobe plug-in when I clicked on the flash player download button and yet didn't install "Flash Player". I unchecked the McAfee scan option and there were no other options to uncheck. I disabled both extension & plug-in and the weather feature still works, so I figure I can uninstall those add-ons.

All Adobe products have to be installed online now, including their PDF Reader. Well, you can get the old-fashioned offline installers from Adobe, but the links to them are buried in their online help documentation. I'll link to that in a bit, but let me attempt to explain how this works. I say attempt because Adobe is always changing, but here is how it worked when I successfully used the online installer back in January--these are the notes I took at the time:
There is now no option to save the installer stub to your computer--no download button, you have to click Agree and install now. When I do I get an information bar across the top of Firefox saying the site wants to install something and should I allow it. When I click allow, the Firefox Add-ons Manager pops up and I go thru the process of installing Adobe DLM (Download Manager) extension from GetRight. Once the extension is added, I'm told to restart Firefox. When that is done, on Firefox re-opening, the DLM appears to install the Flash Player (and McAfee Security Scan Plus, which I forgot to uncheck before clicking the Install button) then the DLM extension uninstalls itself.
You didn't mention restarting Firefox. Possibly the DLM extension being installed allowed the installation of Flash to be triggered when you visited the weather.com webpage. But once the Flash Player for Firefox is installed, the DLM extension uninstalls itself, so that should explain why you didn't remember exactly when you uninstalled it.

For IE you have to install an ActiveX plugin but don't have to restart the browser for the install to happen.

There are more to my notes, but I was doing an upgrade, among other things, so my other notes don't all apply to you. However, it is important to keep Flash Player up to date, as malware can and will exploit vulnerabilities in Flash to get into your system. To check if you have the latest version go to the following page: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

However, you can now have Adobe notify you when updates are available, which I recommend you set up. The Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager can be obtained by clicking links at the following webpage--it looks like a webpage but is where you can configure Flash Player and contains its documentation: http://www.macromedia.com/support/document...ger.html#117118

To go directly to the Global Notifications Settings Panel, click this link: http://www.macromedia.com/support/document..._manager05.html

Put a check mark in the box to be notified of updates and I recommend setting it to the shortest amount of time possible--every seven days. Then, when an update comes out, you will be notified and you have the option of installing it on the fly--it's been quick and no hassle for me. Except for the fact that they only update one of my two browser plugins. In January it updated my IE plugin but not Firefox. A few days ago it updated Firefox but not IE. So check the About page with both browsers to be sure you have the latest version.

To get IE up to date this time, I used the offline installer. FileHippo and some other sites like it are OK too, but you should be able to get them from Adobe from here:
Troubleshoot Flash Player installation for Windows:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

The links for the offline installers are buried in that article, so, for the convenince of anyone wanting to use them, here are the direct download links:
For IE: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplaye...h_player_ax.exe
For Firefox, Opera, Safari: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplaye...lash_player.exe

When doing manual updates, it may be better to first uninstall the plugins from Control Panel's Add/Remove and sometimes I've had to reboot more than once to get the latest version to show up.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Papakid, 21 June 2010 - 10:32 AM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Papakid for all the info and links.

Firefox wants to me to upgrade to 3.6.4, so I should be prepared now to reinstall adobe flash if necessary after the upgrade.

I followed the link you provided to check my flash player settings and check for updates is set to 7 days - that seems to be the default. Note to noscript users - you have to allow macromedia.com or you'll get the message that you need to install flash player. [Yeah, it took me a minute looking at the page blankly before I remembered to rightclick and go down to the noscript icon]

I have firefox & adobe flash installed on 2 computers - a win2k & a winxp tab ed. Both have adobe flash player version 10.1.53.64 listed in Add/Remove that is listed as shockwave flash 10.1.53.64 under firefox's plug-ins list. So firefox apparently just calls the adobe flash player shockwave flash, not making the distinction adobe does and confusing me. But thanks to Papakid's info I'm not as confused as I was before.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users