Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right Click

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iain57

iain57

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:03 PM

Hello everybody.

I see a lot of people are still have problems with computers full of nastys and things that go bump in the night.
Maybe my question will give a stress break. My desktop is running WINXP Pro. SP2 and my laptop Vista Home Premium.
Their are some things I like about Vista, one of them is the addition of New, Folder in the right click Context Menu. Now
my question, is there a way to add that command to right click in WINXP?

I have spent several hours looking for a solution to this and of course have found out how to do everything else. I think
after reading a extra long post, I believe I can now, after some registry hacking, right click and have my computer make my
morning coffee, LOL.

I did find a small program called "NewFold" that does put a New Folder option in the context menu, but I would rather
use the Windows command. If anybody has an idea how to do this, give me a holler.

Now just another " thank you" to everybody that helped me in the past remove some ugly bugs I got in my laptop.
The world's round, I'll get there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

I'm a bit confused now. I run XP Pro SP3 and have the New > Folder option available on a right click. Could be the difference between SP2 and SP3, but I really don't remember not having it. I use it a lot.

#3 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

Check your registry settings.

Open the Start menu, select Run and type in regedit. This will open the registry editor.

Navigate through the following;

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > Directory > Background > shellex > ContextMenuHandlers > New

Check the value in the Data column of the right frame. It should be {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

If not, double-click (Default) in the name column, copy and paste the value above including the brackets into the Value data box. You may have to reboot afterwards for the setting to come into play.

Edited by Brother Bill, 15 June 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

Before playing in the registry...you may want to back it up...mistakes happen every day and you should want protection against mistakes you might make when editing the registry.

ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Louis

#5 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

Sorry Louis,

I guess I don't think about that on a minor edit but you're entirely correct. It is awfully easy to make a mistake and could have disasterous consequences. My apologies.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

Nice tutorial: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...s-context-menu/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 iain57

iain57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the info

Brother Bill,
I checked the registry key and it was there. Is there somewhere in the registry to edit the context menu,
or would that work. I'm going to see if I can get into that program "NewFold" It is most likely a scrip to add
the key you told me about.
I'll let you all know.
The world's round, I'll get there.

#8 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

If the entry was there, then there must be another reason for New > Folder not being available on the right-click menu.

There are tutorials and tips for hacking the registry and registery editors all over the web. You just need to do a little research.

I would be somewhat hesitant to follow the advice found on just any website and regardless how skilled or comfortable you are with the registry, I would also reiterate Louis' words. Before you make any changes, make sure you have a current restoration point or registery backup of some sort. As was stated before, the registry is not the place that you want to encounter a little boo boo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users