Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost memory error at 0x10001397

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terry T

Terry T

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 on a Dell Inspiron 6000.

I've begun receiving the error "The instruction at "0x10001397" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

When I click OK to terminate the program, my computer freezes. When I click Cancel to debug, one thing I noticed is that my sound no longer works for Flash, Window Media Player, etc. My Windows tones/beeps still work though. Also, I went to the Microsoft Update page to attempt to manually update but the scan program on the site will not work on my PC.

I've tried several fixes for other svchost errors suggested on this site and the Windows help sites, but none of them worked. I also Googled 0x1001397 and got one result in French discussing what seemed to be some malware. My Trend Micro Internet Security software did detect a Trojan virus a couple of weeks back and removed it. However, I recently upgraded to their Pro version and the log with the name of the Trojan is gone.

Before running ComboFix or another malware cleanup program, I thought it best to post here to see what others might suggest.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Well...that error message is about as standard as they come...so I would not panic and assume that the world is about to end.

If you do a Google for "instruction at...referenced memory", you will see what I mean.

IMO, the key thing would be...what program are you in when this happens?

I would assume that it's a bug (program needs uninstalling/reinstalling/updating) or the program has damaged components which cause the error message.

You seem to have a number of things...awry with your system, though.

What was the error message you received at Windows Update?

Louis

#3 Terry T

Terry T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Louis. I do see a lot of issues with svchost errors, so I'm not panicked. If I do nothing everything still seems to work normally, except for the annoying dialogue box that I have to move out of the way. However, I'd like to find a fix since I don't know what's not running that maybe should be.

The difficulty is that it happens during startup under all user logins, not when a particular program is opened. I ran Event Viewer and the error occurs right after the dialmgr service is started. Is there a way to find out what service is supposed to start next? That might give me a clue.

As I said, I tried several fixes that were given for other svchost errors including disabing the User-mode Driver Framework and following the steps outlined at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927385. I've also uninstalled several old programs that might have been trying to launch on startup. At this point, I feel like I'm grasping at straws, so any suggestions on utility programs that might point me in the right direction are appreciated.

On the Windows Update issue: I'm getting error code 0x80072EFF, which according to MS means I cannot connect to the server. However, I'm obviously not having an Internet connection issue. I've tried disabling my Trend Micro firewall, turning off the antivirus software altogether and applying one of MS's "Fix It" solutions (#50202) after following the trail from the error message. It's still not working. I even turned off Automatic Updates and rebooted the PC thinking that might be responsible for the svchost error. No luck there either. Since MS offers free help for Automatic Updates issues, I've submitted a case to them on that, and I mentioned the svchost issue as well.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

You might try the link at http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/.

I notice that you insist on saying "service host issue" but you don't seem to have any documentation which reflects that there is an issue.

What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running the How-To Geek - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-is-it-running/

In any case...to troubleshoot the processes which run as svchost.exe in Task Manager...you need to use a tool like Process Explorer.

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Then, hopefully, you can determine if you really have an issue.

There is no Windows "dialmgr service" in XP, from what I see. The only valid reference to such a file dates back to Windows Me...other references I see regarding "dialmgr" indicates the possibility of malware.

Based on those looks...I will move your thread to the BC Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#5 Terry T

Terry T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Thanks, Louis. Good diagnosis on the malware. I ran the SuperAntiSpyware removal tool and found a Trojan called SVC(Fake). Once it was removed, the svchost error dialogue box stopped appearing.

I still can't get to MS Windows Update but I have a case in with MS on that.

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users