Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot Up Lenovo Laptop, Damaged Hard Drive, Help Rescuing Files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stumbler

stumbler

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

Hi,

Lenovo X61 Laptop
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 (Vista)

My computer has been BSODing regularly for the last couple months. I called Lenovo last month and they diagnosed it as needing a hard drive replacement. I think the hard drive finally crashed on me today. I want to find out if I can rescue any files off of my hard drive before I send it to Lenovo for a new hard drive.

Problem description: When I try to boot up the computer, it only gives me two options: run Lenovo Rescue and Recovery, or Start Windows Normally. When I try to Start Windows Normally, it BSODs and fails to boot every single time (I have tried many times) with the error code 0x000024, give or take a few 0s. I also cannot boot through Lenovo Rescue and Recovery. RnR loads, but then it asks me to select my operating system from a list/menu and none shows up. I have no choice but to cancel RnR and Start Windows Normally...which then fails and gives me a BSOD.

I can send in the laptop to Lenovo right now and have them replace the hard drive. However, that would involve losing all my data. Is there a way for me to rescue some files from my hard drive before I send it in and they wipe my hard drive?

Note: this laptop has no CD drive and I do not possess an external CD drive. I do not possess any Windows disks of any sort. If necessary, I can access several other Windows computers that do have CD drives.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

If you are going to send the drive to Lenovo anyway...why not ask them if they can transfer data files, etc...in the process of installing the new hard drive?

Louis

#3 stumbler

stumbler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

If you are going to send the drive to Lenovo anyway...why not ask them if they can transfer data files, etc...in the process of installing the new hard drive?

Louis

They don't offer that service. One of the conditions of repair is that your hard drive will be wiped. Thank you for your reply though.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

You can move any data files...but no programs...from that hard drive...if it's not badly damaged.

You won't know until you try.

You can attach it directly to the motherboard of a different system...put it in a USB 2.0 enclosure...whatever.

If the other system can actually see the drive and read the files...then you move whatever files.

But if the drive cannot be recognized or the files not seen...you may have to try data-recovery software.

Louis

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

putting the drive in a zip lock baggie and pop it in the freezer overnight, attach the drive to an external usb device and connect it to another pc. see if you can retrieve any data from it. As the drive starts to heat up, it might quit working. if your usb/power cables are long enough then just leave the drive in the freezer while it's connected to another pc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users