Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which software ???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ibbo

ibbo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

what software should i be running on my laptop to keep it protected? at the moment i have (avg,malwarebytes & windows firewall)
i am wondering is this enough & is there better out there free software would be good as i'm skint at the mo.i know i should research this myself & i will
any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

You have not mentioned which operating system you are using. Please mention your system specs.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

You need a anti virus for sure for sure.

#4 ibbo

ibbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

sorry os - xp pro

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

Avast works for me, and I dumped AVG. Also use malwarebytes and superantivirus periodically.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

On Windows XP, I recommend avast! free antivirus to you instead of AVG. For firewall, you should install ZoneAlarm free. The Windows firewall on XP is not good enough.

You can also install free versions of MBAM and SuperAntispyware for periodic manual scanning.

Also keep your Windows XP updated bu turning on Automatic Updates.

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

I agree with Romeo29, and would swap out AVG for Avast. AVG has become bloated over time and is just no longer on par with the other free alternatives out there. If Avast is not to your liking, then there is also the very good Microsoft Security Essentials.

The links below provide a pretty useful guide to finding a good setup.

http://dev.urltrim.com/secwiz
http://naut.homestead.com/files/Free/free1.html
http://dottech.org/headline/3174

#8 ibbo

ibbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

thankyou for the advice guys definately going with avast a couple of my freinds suggested this as well & change my firewall :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users