Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps freezing at Windows XP logo/boot screen during start-up! What to do?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zee794

zee794

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

HELLLPPP! Please disregard the length of this post. It's for a good cause. ty.
I own a Gateway 831 GM PC with Windows XP Media Center Edition SP 2.

The problem is that I cannot turn on my computer anymore as it keeps getting stuck at the boot screen/ Windows XP logo with the loading bar going from left to right beneath it. It presumes to load for a few seconds and then stops in the middle and freezes altogether. It would probably stay that way for months if I let it. I have to manually hold down the power button to turn it off.

I have tried everything I can think of:
Virus scans from updated Malwarebytes and AVG come out clean.
Did a Disk Defragmeantation two days ago.
Did a Chkdsk, but as my computer restarted after its completion, it froze at that screen.
Chose "Last known configuration that worked" from the F8 menu. As it restarted, it got stuck at the boot screen.
Did a System Restore, which maybe restored successfully but did not solve the problem as when it restarted the computer upon completion, the computer, you guessed it, froze at that blasted screen!!!

I am lucky to be here under safe mode, which is the only thing that works, that is, IF my computer doesn't freeze. Now, I can't seem to find any hardware change that may have caused this. And the system (C:, D: drives) itself is "healthy" according to computer management. I still have a lot of free space.

Note: I did not receive a Windows XP CD with the comp. I tried to make recovery discs after I bought it, but some error caused it to only create four out of the necessary five discs.

How do I fix this? What should I do? I'm not very tech savvy, so please lay it easy on me with the jargon. I really cannot afford a technician at the moment. THANKS a ton.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...if you can boot into safe mode while being unable to boot normally...that focuses attention on some driver which cannot/does not load normally (probably because it's damaged).

Try the following from safe mode:

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All.

Then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 zee794

zee794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Louis, I hope you are still around. I just got back and saw your suggestion. I am working on the re-repost pertaining to the BlueScreenView and will be posting soon. Thank you soo much.

Edited by zee794, 16 June 2010 - 12:02 AM.

#4 zee794

zee794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...if you can boot into safe mode while being unable to boot normally...that focuses attention on some driver which cannot/does not load normally (probably because it's damaged).

Try the following from safe mode:

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All.

Then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Thanks Louis. Here is the report:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini052210-01.dmp
Crash Time : 5/22/2010 2:11:32 AM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x1000000a
Parameter 1 : 0x85b09808
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000001
Parameter 4 : 0x80522c05
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+4bc05
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.3654 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.091208-2028)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052210-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600

Dump File : Mini042110-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/21/2010 3:18:43 PM
Parameter 1 : 0x26d07095
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x804ef7a2
Caused By Driver : RTL8187B.sys
Caused By Address : RTL8187B.sys+6de4
File Description : Realtek RTL8187B NDIS Driver
Product Name : Realtek RTL8187B Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Company : Realtek Semiconductor Corporation
File Version : 5.1046.1226.2006 built by: WinDDK
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042110-01.dmp

Dump File : Mini042010-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/20/2010 8:47:39 PM
Parameter 1 : 0x00050069
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x804ef7a2
Caused By Driver : RTL8187B.sys
Caused By Address : RTL8187B.sys+6de4
File Description : Realtek RTL8187B NDIS Driver
Product Name : Realtek RTL8187B Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Company : Realtek Semiconductor Corporation
File Version : 5.1046.1226.2006 built by: WinDDK
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042010-01.dmp

Dump File : Mini030710-01.dmp
Crash Time : 3/7/2010 6:24:22 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_UNLOAD
Bug Check Code : 0x100000d4
Parameter 1 : 0xaa2e5f38
Parameter 2 : 0x0000001c
Parameter 3 : 0x00000001
Parameter 4 : 0x805021de
Caused By Driver : HSF_CNXT.sys
Caused By Address : HSF_CNXT.sys+96912
File Description : HSF_CNXT driver
Product Name : SoftK56 Modem Driver
Company : Conexant Systems, Inc.
File Version : 7.12.09 built by: WinDDK
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini030710-01.dmp

Edited by zee794, 16 June 2010 - 12:01 AM.

#5 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

so just to confirm, you were able to successfully get your computer into safe mode? if so, will it let you boot into safemode with networking?

if it will let you boot into safe mode with networking, be sure to scan it with malwarebytes which you can find at http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

#6 zee794

zee794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

so just to confirm, you were able to successfully get your computer into safe mode? if so, will it let you boot into safemode with networking?

if it will let you boot into safe mode with networking, be sure to scan it with malwarebytes which you can find at http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Hi, thank you for your response. Yes, I am currently online using safe mode with networking. As I mentioned previously, I scanned my computer with Malwarebytes and AVG, and they found nothing. The scans came up clean.

Edited by zee794, 16 June 2010 - 12:00 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

I would uninstall the wireless NIC drivers (via Device Manager) and...disable the dialup modem in the BIOS.

Louis

#8 zee794

zee794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:38 PM

I would uninstall the wireless NIC drivers (via Device Manager) and...disable the dialup modem in the BIOS.

Louis

Last month I signed up with a new ISP, and installed the modem which might be related to the above. If your resolution solves my problem, will this pose an issue later when trying to connect to the internet? Does the ntoskrnl.exe NT Kernal part of the report have anything to do with the inability to properly boot?

I am definitely no expert, thus all the confusion and questioning. Sorry to hassle you :/
Z

Edited by zee794, 15 June 2010 - 11:59 PM.

#9 zee794

zee794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

Also, before I posted on bleepingcomputer.com, I had posted this very same question on Yahoo! Answers. (I was desperate :thumbsup: ), and got mixed solutions.

All of the answers can be read here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_y...15072552AA5Rwjh

as well as this answer: "Hi, Zarin A

There are 3 step to repair computer frozen error

If you got computer frozen error then there is a 94% chance that your computer has registry problems. You should fix it immediately. The following software is a professional fix computer frozen error, in addition, you can fix many common computer errors. I think you should try it, I believe that it can help you:

* Step 1 - Download a computer frozen error repair tool,install this error repair tool.
* Step 2 - Open the computer frozen error repair tool and scan you computer for free
* Step 3 - Then click the Repair All Button again and your done!

Here are the url of computer frozen error repair tool:http://www.RepairErrorSoon.com/ttfix-computer_frozen_error-zz0001
Source(s):
[url="http://www.RepairErrorSoon.com/ttfix-computer_frozen_error-zz0001""]http://www.RepairErrorSoon.com/ttfix-compu...or-zz0001"[/url]

Since I know too little about the reliability of these commentators and am hesitant in messing things up even worse than they are now, I am seriously lost.

Are any of the suggestions in the link or above credible or sense-worthy or a likely solution for this problem?

Can I get some "all in favors?" lol

Thanks to everyone. Again I stink at this, and wish I could afford to pay someone else to fix it.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

FWIW: There are (as you have found out) many forums on the Internet...where confused computer users seek knowledge which they don't have. Some of these are reliable, some are unreliable. The unreliable forums are such, IMO, because there often don't seem to be sufficient inputs or members...who correct erroneous, well-intentioned answers/comments which may be made in response to those seeking guidance.

I try to confine my "authoritative suggestions" to those sites where experience has led me to believe that I can have confidence in what is suggested.

Yahoo Answers is not a site that I would expect an answer that I could rely on...to suggest to someone with a problem.

If you have cable or DSL service...there is no need to have dialup modems operative. Dialup modems only facilitate dialup connections, they serve no purpose for users with cable or DSL...which is why I suggest disabling the dialup modem in the BIOS>

Uninstalling the wireless drivers, as suggested, will be counteracted by rebooting and then installing the same drivers. This is a typical technique for removing damaged driver files.

In general...it's not wise to seek answers to any computer problem...from various sites...if the person seeking answers has no way to make a qualitative assessment of the various answers. The understanding of the problem and the answers received will vary with the perspective of the persons supplying such.

In general...anytime someone suggests that you download/install any tool/program...it's wise to use Google and see exactly what that tool is supposed to do and determine if it's appropriate for what you want. Anyone suggesting "magic fixes" such as registry cleaners...ought to be avoided like the plague.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2010 - 07:12 AM.

#11 zee794

zee794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

Uninstalling the wireless drivers, as suggested, will be counteracted by rebooting and then instatlling the same drivers. This is a typical technique for removing damaged driver files.

Louis

I see what you mean. Now I am just a bit unsure of where I would go or what steps I would have to take to re-install the wireless NIC drivers, to annoy you one last time (hopefully). :thumbsup: Would you sincerely explain to me what I should to to reinstall the driver?

As for everything else you have mentioned, I couldn't agree with you more. I found a lot of these suggestions suspicious, or otherwise realized that I probably would not find very many computer pros floating around Y! Answers (which has its uses, but not in this case) when I decided to come to bleeping computer, which I find to be pretty informative and trustworthy. It is in my hopes to greatly expand my knowlegde within this field one day, especially since knowing the workings of one's computer is so practical nowadays. This site, I believe will act as a nice stepping-stone, that is if I recover my computer. :flowers: Thank you again for all you have done.
Zarin

Edited by zee794, 16 June 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

Since you have a Gateway system...unless it has been modified, the drivers for all components can be found at the Gateway website.

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...&param=5021

The drivers for your system...do not indicate a capacity for a wireless connection...so it appears that the Realtek device is not original equipment.

The link for the Realtek wireless LAN described is http://www.realtek.com/products/productsVi...&ProdID=143, with the drivers for that device at http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloads...;Downloads=true. You want the XP drivers.

After installing the drivers, I believe that you still have to configure the wireless device. I don't do wireless anything, so you will have to research the exact steps you need to take to achieve this.

I am hoping that this new ISP set you up on a wireless connection, otherwise...none of this makes much sense. You should have received an install CD whenever the Realtek device was procured...the drivers should be on that disc also. If you have the disc, there is no reason to download the drivers from the Realtek website.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users