Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTA San Andreas slow after some minutes of play

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tjwh

tjwh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:46 AM

After some minutes of play of San Andreas, the game becomes very slow, FPS drops to below 10 while before it was about 30.

Speedfan shows about 60 degrees C for the card when this happens (but this problem persists when I cool the card with a fan and the temp drops to 50).

Now this PC recently had it's mobo replaced to fix some memory issues. The memory issues were gone but there were speed issues so the processor was replaced. This seemed to fix the speed issues for normal applications (like browsing and word processing) but not gaming.

With this setup:
2GB DDR2 RAM
ASUS P5KPL AM SE motherboard
Pentium D 3.2GHz
Geforce 7600 GS Silent

I should be able to run GTA San Andreas right? No, I could only get reasonable performance on 800*600 (32bit) with everything on low.

So yesterday I went looking and found that sometimes disabling 'enable write combining' could help for slow games. This seemed to work, because now I am able to run it on 1024*768*32bit with everything on the highest setting at good FPS, until a few minutes in the game when the FPS drops.

Any ideas why this happens and how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tjwh

tjwh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:18 AM

So my computer decided to show some initiative and tell me what the problem was.

I lowered the framerate and played fine for sometime. Then, after 10 minutes of play, the game lagged. I waited a bit and it was fine again. I continued in this way for about 2 hours and then all of a sudden the system locks up. Figuring San Andreas has been known to cause these kind of errors, I don't think much of it and reboot. I play for 15 minutes and this time, San Andreas shuts down because of some bull**** error. I restart "Looking for gta_sa.exe, click browse if you want to search this file manualy". I look and the two partitions of a secundary (old) SATA drive are gone taking with them the GTA San Andreas Installation!!

So yeah the old SATA drive die on me:( Fortunately little data of value was lost. I installed SA on the newer IDE drive and everything runs fine again. I noticed that the SATA drive got quite hot while gaming. It was very close to the IDE drive. I removed it so the IDE drive can get some more air and hopefully keep cooler than its brother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users