Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much would a new graphics card help this rig?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DigThatFunk

DigThatFunk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:58 AM

Hey guys, first post here, but I'm in need of some good, helpful advice. I own a Toshiba Satellite L505D-LS5007. Its an AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300, 3gig RAM, AMD M860G with ATI Mobility Radeon 4100. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The total available graphics memory is 1406 MB(256 dedicated, 1150 shared) thanks to the way its set up for dynamic video memory. 1366x768 laptop monitor. I do a pretty good job of keeping software and drivers up to date. I've been getting back into PC gaming, after a long stint away(I have been a console gamer for a while). This laptop I've described, can handle most games(recently: Crysis--surprisingly enough, it ran fine for the most part; Batman: Arkham Asylum; Dark Void; Assassin's Creed II), though it takes a bit of tweaking and often the poorest, or near-poorest, graphics settings(and I STILL get a bit of lag, only in the videos in some games though).
Well, my main question is, will simply getting a better graphics card help these situations? If so, I'm really liking the nVidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card(I found one for $100 US). Will this be good enough, alongside my system(not really able to afford any additional upgrades at the moment), to play games on the Best(Ultra High, or whatever else it may be called), or at the very least near-Best? If not, what are some suggestions(even if it includes further money being spent, I'll at least hear it out)? Thanks a lot in advance, guys. I just want to get the most out of my system for the best price.

Edited by DigThatFunk, 15 June 2010 - 02:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

There is no upgrade path for video on that lappy. The video is integrated with the motherboard. Notice the "256 dedicated, 1150 shared"? That means the video is indeed integrated and shares your system memory to operate.

I think the video card you are looking at is for a desktop system.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DigThatFunk

DigThatFunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:48 AM

Duh, I should've known that about it being for desktop....I had just glanced at them, and it was in the area of what I was looking for. So, basically, there's no way to further optimize my game performance aside from replacing the motherboard altogether, and then the video card? Everything else about this comp is pretty decent to where I should at least be able to run graphics in Medium settings, but the card seems to be the main thing holding it back(in the Windows Experience Index, I have: Processor-4.9; RAM-5.5; Graphics-3.5; Gaming Graphics-5.0; and Primary Hard Disk-5.7). Again, any ideas to improve my performance are welcome.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

Unless that chassis came with a mobo that took a dedicated mobile videocard, there are no options. Even then the cost would be prohibitive.

The games you are trying to run just aren't meant to be run on laptops. The few laptops that can run those games smoothly (and not with all of the settings maxxed either) are going to run around the $2K mark.

From your description, your rig seems to be doing very well for what it is.

Edited by dpunisher, 15 June 2010 - 08:27 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users