Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly after an update the display style randomly changes, I can see

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mrwatto69

mrwatto69

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

Hi there everyone. I created this account just to make this post. I've searched all over the net and can't find the answer.

About a week ago my daily virus scan picked up some viruses/malware and removed it. Business as usual.

Then one day I reboot my laptop in the morning (this is rare, I usually keep the computer on for days at a time) and the style is screwed up. Gone from XP style to classic style or something like that.

At the time I didn't realise it was a style issue I just thought something screwey had heppened. I tried to get online on wireless (my router doesn't even have wired) and when I tried to find the networks there was a great big error message saying something about there being no Wireless Zero Configuration (whatever the hell that is). I used system restore amd managed to make it all go away. No problem.

About a week later, it happens again! But this time system restore doesn't work, no matter what date I use. It just says something about "Can not complete restore". I did some searching and managed to switch the Wireless Zero Configuration on, and even change the display style back. But I still can't get on the internet. My wireless sees the network no problem and other computers in the room use the network with no issue. It's just endlesslessly trying to acquire a network address and not doing so!

HELP! ANYONE! HELP? I desperately need to get online on THAT laptop.

This post was moved from XP to 'Am I Infected' forum but I decided to repost here for a couple of reasons (1) after 80 views I got not reply and (2) I suspect this is not an infection issue, but an XP issue - this seemed to happen after an update. I think the virus/malware thing might be a red herring.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrwatto69

mrwatto69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:25 AM

I have some more information.

If I do a restart, I get the balloon coming out of the system tray saying that the firewall is turned off, AND I get the error again when I try to view available wireless networks. Here is the error message:

Windows cannot configure this wireless connection

If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software.

If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) service. For information about starting the WZC service, see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on the microsoft.com Web site.

Now I did visit that article, and it told me how to start the WZC service. (Start > Run > type 'services.msc' and hit enter > go to Wireless Zero Configuration and double click > go to 'General' tab and hit 'Start' button.

When I do that, I can now see all the wireless networks within range, but when the computer tries to connect to any network (and I have credentials to connect to not one but TWO of them), it just hangs on 'Acquiring network address' forever (and yes, I have waited for hours).

Does anybody have an advice for me? Please? :thumbsup:

Edited by mrwatto69, 15 June 2010 - 12:26 AM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:34 AM

Please try this just just to check your connection -
  • Open Internet Explorer
  • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser
  • Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options
  • Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up
  • Click on the Connections tab
  • Click on the LAN settings button
  • Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it
  • Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window
  • Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window
Then go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and see if any items have a question mark or exclamation mark beside them -
Thank You -

#4 mrwatto69

mrwatto69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

Hi noknojon

Thank you very much for trying to help me. I really appreciate it as I am quite desperate to get online on this particular computer for business reasons.

I did everything you said.

Yes, there is one item with an exclamation mark beside it. The item is: Intel PCIC compatible PCMCIA controller. In the tree structure it is under PCMCIA adapters which itself is under ACER.

There are no items with question marks next to them.

However, there is one item that has a red 'X' over its icon. That item is 1394 Net Adapter. In the tree structure it is under Networks adapters which itself is under ACER.

I am standing by for any further help you might be able to give me!

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

However, there is one item that has a red 'X' over its icon. That item is 1394 Net Adapter. In the tree structure it is under Networks adapters which itself is under ACER.

This item is missing (as I assume you have figured out now) -
I will see if I can get the Driver or an item for it -
Thank You -
EDIT - If you Right click on that item exactly what is said there -

Edited by noknojon, 15 June 2010 - 01:03 AM.

#6 mrwatto69

mrwatto69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:10 AM

I right clicked and enabled and the red X went away but it doesn't solve the problem.

Symptoms are exactly the same :thumbsup:

Could the problem be with the 'Intel PCIC compatible PCMCIA controller' with the exclamation mark next to it?

BTW I am Australian too :flowers:

Edited by mrwatto69, 15 June 2010 - 01:11 AM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:14 AM

What I wanted to know is was there any information in the box that came up -
Try double clicking on it again and see if a box turns up with information in it about drivers or device is disabled etc. -

EDIT - NEW device with exclamation mark - Driver missing -
http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=...e.microsoft.com is one place to get the driver for the Intel Controller - It is via c net with a link to M/soft but it should still download -
Or type/Copy Paste 'Intel PCIC compatible PCMCIA controller' into Google and it will give you many options - Use one of the first couple -

Edited by noknojon, 15 June 2010 - 02:19 AM.

#8 mrwatto69

mrwatto69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:20 AM

Right clicked on 1394 Net Adapter:

everything now seems normal (since I enabled it).
options are: update driver..., Disable, Uninstall, Scan for hardware changes, Properties

Right clicked on Intel PCIC compatible PCMCIA controller (the device with the exclamation mark):

options are: update driver..., Disable, Uninstall, Scan for hardware changes, Properties

Edited by mrwatto69, 15 June 2010 - 01:21 AM.

#9 mrwatto69

mrwatto69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:26 AM

Two problems:

1. I am using a different computer for internet access (since I can't get online on that laptop)
2. I am using Firefox not IE and that link doesn't work with FF. Can you post the complete URL and I can go there using IE.

How can I move the driver across to the laptop. I guess I can use a USB drive but I'm not sure of the procedure to install.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:27 AM

Try that link for the driver first and then we run a disk check -

EDIT - You can load it onto another computer > Save to Documents > Right click on it > and click Properties (in case it has Block on it Click unblock) and even use a CD to transfer it - They should install once you transfer them- Just click Run -
I just loaded all the drivers for a Vista and transferred them that way -
Give you 5 mins to play with that while I make a coffee - OK =
Internet Explorer will be on that computer , it is just on the desktop right now - Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer > Local Disc > Windows
There should be an item that either says Internet Explorer or ie6 , ie7 or ie8 - That is Internet Explorer -
You can also Google I E 7 and download that - It only takes a few mins to load - I have done it with my Orca browser -

Edited by noknojon, 15 June 2010 - 02:52 AM.

#11 mrwatto69

mrwatto69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:32 AM

ok I have to rush out to a meeting now I will get straight back on to it when I get back in about 2 hours...

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:48 AM

For when you return - Read the last post for information about Internet Explorer - F/Fox could also access that link ??-
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Copy and paste this code into Start > Run Box > Close all open programs (including this one) > Click OK -
This will shut down ypur computer and then restart automatically - Then it will perform a full 5 stage check -
On average this takes 30-45 mins but it can take over an hour depending on the content of your computer -
It will show each stage of the check and will note any errors as it goes -

Thank You - :thumbsup: Click F5 and refresh the page -

Edited by noknojon, 15 June 2010 - 05:33 AM.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:30 AM

Hi Again -
The one thing I have never asked is for the exact Make and Model Number -
Sorry -
EDIT - I hope you have also downloaded Malwarebytes From Here and run a Quick Scan at least to check for other infections when you get online -

Getting late here now (After 11.00 - Victorian time) - Only on for another 5 mins - Will check back in the morning -

Edited by noknojon, 15 June 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

As you can't access the net to transfer the code (dumb me) here is the normal way -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
  • Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
Thank You - :thumbsup:

EDIT - I still would like the Make and Model Number to check the files -

Edited by noknojon, 15 June 2010 - 06:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users