Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer virus that kills windows and CD drive?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lady_Soleirina

Lady_Soleirina

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:09 PM

Side note: Thanks for any help first off =)

I have a laptop that was running windows XP and acting just fine until a friend of mine's brother decided to download some sort of game, which has totally ruined the PC. When I hit the power button, the computer acts as if its going to load normally until it gets to the part where it should load the actual windows. It shows a black screen with a loading bar in the bottom center area and never goes past this screen (not even when it asks me if I want it to load in safe mode in a previous screen and I say yes). I simply thought, 'oh screw it, I'll insert the windows XP CD in the CD drive and wipe the whole darn thing and start from scratch.' Well the "virus" or whatever it has caught thought of this eventuality. I shut the computer off, insert said CD. and restart it. As its restarting, the processing light flashes on the CD drive for a while as if its thinking its going to load from the CD but then shows the screen where it asks me to boot the computer normally or in safe mode. I have tried editing the boot drives so it automatically goes to the CD drive first but that hasn't helped.

So as much as I want to fix this laptop, I'm not entirely sure how to proceed from here. Any help is totally appreciated and awesome. I'm sure there is a easy as pie answer that I'm not getting right now since I'm so tired but I knew someone here would be kind enough to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:23 PM

Enter BIOS and make sure, the "boot order" lists CD drive as the 1st bootable device.
What brand of laptop is it?

Edited by Broni, 14 June 2010 - 11:24 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Lady_Soleirina

Lady_Soleirina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:37 PM

Yeah, I've tried that. I've even moved the other bootables down so there's a space between CD drive and the rest of them. No luck =(

Oh yeah sorry about that, its an Acer laptop

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,718 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

See, if that Windows CD is bootable on another computer.
Was the CD drive working before?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Lady_Soleirina

Lady_Soleirina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

I've used the CD to boot from before on other PCs so I know the CD is in working condition. As far as I'm aware, the CD drive was in working order before my friend's brother got a hold of it and downloading that "game" =\

Possible that the virus its got in it now has fried the CD drive?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,718 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

I'll ask for some help here from people, who take care of non-bootable computers.
Hold on there :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Lady_Soleirina

Lady_Soleirina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

Thanks because I'm about to pull my hair out lol =)

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,718 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

It's late right now, but hopefully someone will chime in here by tomorrow :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 The-Blob

The-Blob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

I don't know if this will help, but I have and old Toshiba Laptop and it is VERY picky about what CD's it will read.

When I tried to reinstall XP onto it with a disk I KNEW worked, the laptop didn't seem to read it right. I had to burn multiple disks and slam the tray in a few times before it decided to work.

So I would try using different brands of CD's and re-burning them.

#10 Lady_Soleirina

Lady_Soleirina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

Thanks! I'll try this tomorrow when I get home from work; too late tonight =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users