Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do What With Pre-installed Mcafee?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:08 PM

Hi all

Been reading here a lot and registered again today. Couldn't remember password of 1st registration and never did get it in my email when I tried. :thumbsup:

I've learned a lot and taken a ton of notes, but am still not too bright about much of it. I have a load of questions :flowers: and hope you all are patient. It's not that I don't want to go look up stuff on my own--I do it often, BUT many times I'm just too scared to do the recommended because of not understanding all of it.

For instance, I just bought a Dell Inspiron 6000 that came with 15 months of McAfee......I've been using AVG on my other computers for over a year now and am comfortable with it, knowing it is highly recommended. I also use ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and CCleaner.

So far, on this new pc, I have added Ad-Aware, Spybot, CCleaner, and AVG---though I haven't run AVG yet at all because I know (from you all) that I shouldn't have TWO AVs. I don't know what to do with McAfee. Add/Remove or just disable or what??

And what about the McAfee Personal Firewall Plus?

Or should I keep (or am I stuck with) McAfee for the 15 months and THEN get AVG back?? I THINK I'm of the understanding that AVG is more popular but not positive.

I've read the rules, but when I'm reading old posts (just to learn) and have a question, can I go ahead and bring the post back up to the top with my question on the same subject IF the person has gotten their fix already?? Or do I need to post my own Topic when I have questions on subjects that've already been covered?
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:28 PM

If you are comfortable with AVG and Z/A, and you know how to use both of them, I would uninstall McAfee (even if it IS free for 15months). You already have two very good applications, and having a second AV is redundant, and running multiple firewalls can only lead to system comflicts.
OR,if you want to try new things, you can keep McAfee and uninstall the other duplicate applications (since, as you understand, you can always download them at some time in the future).
Personally, I would choose to dump McAfee, but that remains a personal choice.

Doing your own research is often a very good exercise, but if you are not comfortable about doing something, or are unsure about the procedure or its effects, never hesitate to post a question here at BC. It is far better to post than to make an error and damage your operating system!
As to your second question, it might be best to post your question anew and link to the prior discussion thread. This is especially true when the thread is an old one because your reply might be overlooked or considered a comment to it rather than a new question.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 10 October 2005 - 10:31 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:38 PM

Okay, jgweed, I'm going to Remove McAfee then...through Add/Remove programs, I hope. I would rather have AVG since no one is saying "Oh no, KEEP McAfee, it is best." (Grin!)

Thanks so much!! And I WILL be posting again with my other questions....I just hope no one gets sick of it!!!

Oh yeah, there are several items in Add/Remove programs with the name McAfee involved in the name, should I get rid of them ALL or will they all automatically GO with the removal of one (including the Firewall)?? I'd rather have ZA on here as I have had in the past...unless something better is highly recommended!

Edited by Lily Livered, 10 October 2005 - 10:40 PM.

Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:53 PM

Remove each and every one of them; since they are probably different modules doing different things, removing one will have no effect on the others.

I certainly did not want to imply that the McAfee product is bad or deficient in any way. Some people like it. However, since you already understand how to use the other programs, and they have worked for you in protecting your computer before, it seems to me to make sense to keep what you know.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:56 PM

I understand what you're saying. You are one of a handful that I've come to trust when reading here.

I've removed all of them and feel like a weight has been lifted!!

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users