Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get out of safe mode? My computer won't let me!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RichieBradshaw

RichieBradshaw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

My computer got a virus, I took the virus off in safe mode, but now it won't let me get out of it.
I've tried pushing F8 while its starting up and that does nothing.
I've tried restarting it, and turning it completely off. That didn't help.
I've tried clicking start, Run, and typing in "msconfig" then going to the BOOT tab and unchecking the safeboot option. As well as checking the Normal Set Up in the General tab. Didn't help.
I've tried opening the hidden system file in the root of the C: drive called boot.ini
I know its a text file, so I open it with notepad and see if "/safeboot " is there. It was there, so I deleted just the "/safeboot" and saved it. That didn't work either.
I've tried restoring it back to an earlier date, but its showing the only restoration date available is today.. so that won't help.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I need my computer back to normal asap. Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Did you enter Safe Mode using msconfig??

Thisi should work for you,thanks to our quietman7.
Using MSConfig to access (force) safe mode with the /Safe boot option when there is malware on your system could have disastrous results and render your computer unbootable. The Safeboot option modifies the Boot.ini file by adding the /safeboot:minimal argument to your operating systems startup line. Some types of malware can delete or alter the safeboot key in the registry resulting in the inability to reboot fully into safe mode or back to normal mode. When this occurs, you may be locked in a continuous reboot loop afterwards where you cannot get back to MSConfig and undo your selection until the /safeboot argument is removed from the boot.ini. See Booting into Safe Mode safely.

...If a situation like this has happened to you it is possible to fix this problem by renaming your boot.ini file. The first step would be to use a boot disk to start your computer. If your computer does not have a floppy disk, then you can typically boot off the Windows CD that came with your computer in order to access the Windows Recovery Console...Once booted to a command prompt, you would simply rename your C:\Boot.ini file to another name like C:\Boot.ini.bak. The command to rename the file at the command prompt is:

ren C:\Boot.ini Boot.ini.bak

Once the file is renamed, you can then remove the boot disk and reboot your computer to get back to normal mode. When booting up after the rename, do not be surprised if you see an error stating that you do not have a valid Boot.ini file. When you get back to normal Windows mode, you can then rename C:\Boot.ini.bak to C:\Boot.ini file and run Msconfig again to remove the /safeboot flag...

Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode

If you don't have your XP CD you can download a Recovery Console ISO file and burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and fixing purposes. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO and Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image.

Other options to consider:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users