Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 6000 blank black screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, but I almost sure it is not hardware related.

Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, Pentium M, 1.5 Ghz, 60g HDD, 1024MB DDr2 SDRAM, ATI Mobility Radeon x300

I can boot into SET-UP and all works fine,

Booting up in normal mode, it makes it past POST and the XP Splash screen, then just goes black. I can move the curser around and that is it.
Same thing is Safe Mode, but I can see the "Safe Mode" borders in the corners and up top.

I hooked an external monitor to it and get the same results on it.

I went into boot menu and chose diagnostics, and all passed, even the inverter. Was able to see all colors during the diag and as well on the Dell Drivers and Diagnostics CD I'm running right now.

I found some similar problems by Googling, but most said they didn't even make it to the splash screen, or it works in safe mode, but not normal mode, so nothing that has a clear resolve of what I have here.

Thanks, Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Update...
While running the Dell Drivers and Diagnostic Cd, during the the seek test on the hard drive, as it was almost done, I got a "Exception occurred in MODULE DISK.MDM! Warning: Error reading File! Press any key to abort" So I pressed a key and it rebooted, but now says the computer is missing the HDD. I went in Setup and Device Info/Primary Hard Drive, it says {none}, where as before it showed the 60G HDD.

I would not have thought a hard drive would have caused the first problem, or else it wouldn't have booted from the get go. Right?

Any ideas out there? Are the two issues one and the same? I would like to find out before I replace the HDD just to find out it still won't boot properly.

Thanks again for any help!

Edited by AustinTerry, 15 June 2010 - 06:07 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

Your Dell Diag Error Codes

Take a look at the possibilities, please.

Louis

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:06 AM

Thanks Louis, but it did not give me an error code that I could see. I was looking for one as I wrote down everything it said, which I typed above. I could see the block # it stopped at, but those were the only numbers (Block xxxx of block xxxx)

I tried to run the Custom test to just run on the hard drive again instead of the whole thing, but the HDD is not in the list of things to test.

I'm running the Express Test now instead of the Extended Test like last night. We'll see if it comes up with anything.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

You don't have to run the Dell Diagnostics on the hard drive.

Most of the hard drive manufacturers have diagnosing of drives, available at the respective manufacturers' websites.

The long test is more reliable than any short diagnostic.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Yeah, the express test came up clean so it probably doesn't even check the HDD.
And that was going to be my next option, making a test CD from the manufacturer. I'll do some research to fund out what brand hard drive came in this.
Time for me to head to work now so I'll see what happens tonight.

According to your link, all the Module Disk MDM's relate to Hard Drive, Cable, or Motherboard.

Hope it is not the motherboard... :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

Well...there are 3-4 things that can be checked on a hard drive that can cause problems:

a. Connections.

b. Cables.

c. Jumper settings on PATA drives. Discount this if SATA drive or if drive has been in system, is not new/replacement drive.

d. The drive itself.

Louis

#8 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Ok... I took out the HDD, reinstalled it. Made sure it was a good tight fit. Everything looked clean and normal inside the bay. No cables to worry about, so not looking like a connection prob.
Burned a bootable ISO of Hitachi DFT, ran it, it did not detect the HDD. Typed in the s/n like it asked and it gave me this...

Failure Code : 0x20 - Device not found
Technical Result Code (TRC) 2000857F

I would feel better if it had detected the drive and then told me it was bad, but not detecting the drive worries me... (?)

Any help would be great!

ps... to the moderators... should I close this thread and start a fresh one in hardware?

#9 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

Something I just thought of, if BIOS does not detect the HDD, is there a way to reset BIOS to see if it will pick it back up?

And any reason that running the Dell Diagnostic CD would cause it to disappear like that after running the seek test?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

Seems to me that you have received at least 2 definitive messages...that the hard drive is bad.

I'm not in the business of making you accept that...but I accept it.

Why did you run the Hitachi test on your hard drive? You have a Hitachi hard drive?

Louis

#11 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

Why did you run the Hitachi test on your hard drive? You have a Hitachi hard drive?

Yep... it came factory with a Hitachi (Travelstar I think), which is what is still in it.

I had resolved to figure the drive is bad, but just didn't want to go out and buy a new HDD (the old IDE's, especially 2.5s, are hard to find and expensive compared to the newer SATA's) just to install it and find out BIOS doesn't detect it either. :thumbsup:
Plus it is my neighbors computer, so I didn't want to end up with an expensive "test" drive I might never use again.

I s'pose I don't have much other choice tho...

Thanks for the 2nd opinion...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users